Show us your Logan lathes!

gjmontll,
You're right, it is a forward/reverse switch and it does work. I read about the potential for the chuck to fly off the lathe when reversed so I keep it in forward and haven't messed with it other than checking to see if it works. I attached a picture for a better look. This lathe has a 1/2 horse motor with an Atlas nameplate on it so this forward/reverse switch may have been attached to the leg when and if the motor was changed. The on/off switch is on the headstock casting with a plate that has forward/off/reverse markings but only functions for turning the lathe on and off.

IMG_0782.JPG

IMG_0782.JPG

Last edited:
Hi,
I have had my Logan 957 lathe for about 45 years. My father originally bought it in 1966 when it was several years old and I later inherited it. One of the first modifications I made in the early '70's was to replace the two 4 step cone v-belt pulleys in the base with a variable speed split pulley drive. This has worked out very well. I have since been able to dial speeds over a wider range than the original pulleys provided. I finally replaced the v-belts for the first time a few weeks ago. A few days ago I replaced the 5/8-11 threaded rod I originally installed to control the speed with a left hand threaded one. I am tired of turning the speed crank to the left to increase speed.

In the years since, I initially used the lathe in a couple of sideline businesses and as a home hobby shop tool since. I recently cleaned it up (I had let it get far too grungy), bought a quick change tool holder and a few associated accessories. I am now trying to get my whole shop well organized and fixed up.

lathe.jpg
This is my Logan 957 lathe as she sits in my shop.​

Lathedrive.jpg
This is the variable speed drive I installed in the early '70's. The pulley came from Grainger's.

Thanks for all the help offered on this forum.

Dick

lathe.jpg Lathedrive.jpg

FANTASTIC Guys! Keep 'em coming. You all have some very nice equipment. Thank you for posting.

This is a fun thread so I wanted to get in. My Logan 820 came from Monticello, Utah, owned by Harry Randall my wife's grandpa. It sat in a chicken coop for years so I heard. It's a 1946. When I first inherited it my thought was that it was a beater. The scroll on the 3-jaw was toast, that chuck WAS quite the beater. But after watching Tubal Cain's YouTube vid on using a 4-jaw chuck (where you get two keys and dial the work in from loosening one side and tightening the other at the same time), I went to try it and hey! the 4-jaw is in perfect shape! So I figured maybe there was hope for the old 820 after all. The apron was sludged up solid and there were 3 different gears including the bull gear with teeth missing. Dry bearings. Rotten pivot bushings, you know, all the stuff that comes from 70 years. So after going through it all, it's golden. The work in the picture is of some 7075 spacer tubes that go in a special milling machine called the "Millisect". It's a pathology workflow tool to dissect tissue from glass slides, like FFPE type biopsy slides. So the lathe can do precision work, I can hold half a thou on these parts.

Lathe 3_8 to 5_16 turning w live ctr.jpg Logan 820_1.jpg

Logan model 400. Works great and learning a lot of "old school" techniques. Next project is to try cutting some threads.

DSCF6678.JPG

I'm a new Logan owner. Was searching for info and found this thread. 2525 VLH

20150109_194247.jpg

20150109_194247.jpg

Hey Guys,

I'm new here, but have looked at this thread several times over the past year. Owned 3 9" south bends, and one Logan 210, Now I have a Logan 922 11x36". It's a nice lathe for it's size, but I'm hoping to get another larger Clausing 5900 series lathe.

I got the 922 about 5 months ago. Was in decent shape, but it does have a few issues I need to work on yet. Just put a new Phase II QCTP on it last week. Which was a huge improvement from the old lantern. I mainly bought mine for doing gun barrels on, but I'm have done more odd ball projects on it than gunsmith work. I want to make sure everything is set up how I want it before I start spinning barrels. Planning to have it powder coated some day and have the ways reground. I can't resize my photo, but here's a video I made on it.

[video=youtube_share;csgMAo4WW6o]http://youtu.be/csgMAo4WW6o[/video]

You really did a nice refurb on that 6561 Logan!

Have a a question for you if you've got time.

Is is there a way to tighten up the carriage feed. I've got a 6561 and its a little weak in travel from tail to head but robust from head to tail stock. Any ideas?

thanks.

Wiredodger60

I just bought this Logan model 1925 with an 8" chuck and other tools. It was from a research lab to only build prototypes. It was never in manufacturing or a school. It has a nice AB control box to provide motor reverse. I am excited to finally get a larger lathe. To this point I have been using 2 small Austrian made Unimat 3 s which have been great, but certainly limited.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
Back