Show us your Logan lathes!

Proud new owner of a Logan 14" 7502 Chucker lathe. (So is my buddy it turns out - they are perfect twins.)

Needs a little cleaning but is otherwise in very excellent condition. I'm on the lookout now for a tailstock, saddle, cross slide/compound base and compound from a Logan 65xx lathe to get rid of the turret setup. Given the availability of used parts for these 14" Logan I think I have my work cut out for me. Thankfully the lathe was cheap.

If anybody knows of any parts out there, let me know! Thanks!

IMG_20171010_110025.jpg

New member, new 10" Logan lathe.

It came with a QC gearbox, power apron and a Forkardt 3-jaw chuck.

Not sure if the QC gearbox will work with this lathe - I will post a question on that separately. I had a look at the apron last night and I think it will work after I clean it up.

The chuck needs a back plate. I have a blank on the way. This will be my first real project.

IMG_1367.JPG

Just sold this 9B-17. Pristine!! Three owners (now 4). Hated to do it, but can't justify two lathes.

I still have a 1957, but will post pics after the rebuild is complete.

CIMG0379.JPG

1941 Logan 700. After 76yr it's still serviceable. Bedways are in excellent shape. FILTHY when I got it. Missing a few parts, easily obtained. Missing the steady rest. Old rocker style tool post that I'm thinking of replacing with an Aloris or similar. Over the years someone had retrofitted a Drum Controller to allow FWD and REV of Split phase 1/3hp motor, that may go away. Still think it's fun lathe.

Was the original switch just a simple "On/Off" switch? Maybe RLE can tell me based on his 1947.
20171219_140414.jpg

Last edited:
A simple ON-OFF switch has almost always been the default on most lathes up to about 12" unless they shipped from the factory with a 3-phase motor installed. But almost all manufacturers have always offered as an extra cost option a reversing switch, usually of the drum style.

If you decide to use a switch that reverses the motor, you'll need to take care not to spin the chuck off the spindle. My Model 200 came
with a switch like that and I removed it. (I don't trust myself!)

Last edited:
Back