Show us your Logan lathes!

I have wanted a lathe for quite a while. I won an auction on a Monarch 10x20EE a few years ago. I got discouraged in a hurry,
the three phase power and the weight of the machine itself. I sold it and have been looking for a smaller lathe since. I was looking
at the Grizzley Lathes and the like. I found this machine on CL, had never heard of Logan Lathes. I liked the size and it was 110vac, and
the owner brought it to me. I think its a '41 serial number 2314. Not much in the way of tooling, two chucks, a Phase 2 tool post,
and a chuck for the tail stock. I'm considering buying a set of legs and a chip pan. Not sure about that though, I may just put it on a bench.
Did you get the change gears? (fingers crossed)
I mounted my 210 to a slab of old bowling alley and that's been bolted to (3) different benches over the years.
My idea for the ideal bench would be a welded frame style with tool chests fitted into it.

Did you get the change gears? (fingers crossed)
I mounted my 210 to a slab of old bowling alley and that's been bolted to (3) different benches over the years.
My idea for the ideal bench would be a welded frame style with tool chests fitted into it.

I did get the change gears, they are in the coffee can that you can see in the edge of the picture. When I found it, I started
researching Logan Lathes. I'm really happy that I got it, just have a few more things before I get it running.

I did get the change gears, they are in the coffee can that you can see in the edge of the picture. When I found it, I started
researching Logan Lathes. I'm really happy that I got it, just have a few more things before I get it running.
You'll be very happy with it - undoubtedly. I've had mine for over (20) years now and have never regretted the purchase.
They were very well built (IMO) and Scott @ Logan Actuator still provides very decent support.

View attachment 255797
I have wanted a lathe for quite a while. I won an auction on a Monarch 10x20EE a few years ago. I got discouraged in a hurry,
the three phase power and the weight of the machine itself. I sold it and have been looking for a smaller lathe since. I was looking
at the Grizzley Lathes and the like. I found this machine on CL, had never heard of Logan Lathes. I liked the size and it was 110vac, and
the owner brought it to me. I think its a '41 serial number 2314. Not much in the way of tooling, two chucks, a Phase 2 tool post,
and a chuck for the tail stock. I'm considering buying a set of legs and a chip pan. Not sure about that though, I may just put it on a bench.
View attachment 255798

For some reason the leg sets go for a lot of money. After setting mine up on the legs that came with it, I would recommend a bench.
The bench gives you something solid to set up on: the legs are not until it's all bolted together.

Congrats on your new lathe!

You'll be very happy with it - undoubtedly. I've had mine for over (20) years now and have never regretted the purchase.
They were very well built (IMO) and Scott @ Logan Actuator still provides very decent support.

Thank you.. I have been to the site and plan on purchasing a manual for it in a few days. I found this site and Lathe.com while deciding
to make the deal.

For some reason the leg sets go for a lot of money. After setting mine up on the legs that came with it, I would recommend a bench.
The bench gives you something solid to set up on: the legs are not until it's all bolted together.

Congrats on your new lathe!

The small footprint is what interests me most about the legs. I have a butcher block work bench but it is considerably larger
than the space that I have available. You are correct about the cost of those legs though, and it seems that the chip pan is costly
as well.

The cast iron legs are being snapped up by interior designers for that 'industrial design' look.
That is what's has driven the prices up.

If going with a butcher block, I would mechanically fasten some strips to the bottom if possible, would help to keep the laminated wood from separating in the future.
My bench in the shop which was salvaged from a garage in KY and had come from a Panasonic factory had to be re-done.
I've got another one that is in even worse shape that I may just cut up into smaller sections.

View attachment 255797
View attachment 255798
I bought a very similar one last summer except someone had painted it god awful green its #2646 im slowly cleaning it and painting it machinery grey like yours is... you don't realize how badly used and abused they are until you strip them down to bare metal. im steadily working thru different issues trying to get it up and running

Got a break in the rain today. I took advantage and loaded up my butcher block work bench. It is 30 1/2" x 60" and 34" high, I cant wait to get it put together and leveled up. I may get the legs and chip pan at some point but I just want to get my lathe running. My eBay watch list has never been so long.

Reactions: Z2V
hey farmer, where does the motor mount? From the picture,that looks like you could have it underneath or behind on the bench. Some of them have the motor hanging off the back with a peg leg for support.

Those are really nice lathes, almost bulletproof and capable of doing most home shop work. Looks like you got enough tooling to get you started,too.

Just one thing to be careful about, there is no clutch on the powerfeeds. So you have to stay with it and pay attention all the way through operations that use power feed. We had a guy locally that just learned that lesson, and had to replace some gears and parts as a result.

Back