Show us your Logan lathes!

hey farmer, where does the motor mount? From the picture,that looks like you could have it underneath or behind on the bench. Some of them have the motor hanging off the back with a peg leg for support.

Those are really nice lathes, almost bulletproof and capable of doing most home shop work. Looks like you got enough tooling to get you started,too.

Just one thing to be careful about, there is no clutch on the powerfeeds. So you have to stay with it and pay attention all the way through operations that use power feed. We had a guy locally that just learned that lesson, and had to replace some gears and parts as a result.

From all of the pictures that I have seen, the motor mounts directly behind the lathe. I am going to mount it on a butcher block work bench for the time being. I did buy the manual from lathe.com and seen a leg bracket that connects the motor mount to the legs. I haven't seen that bracket for sale.

I do have a micrometer carriage stop in my watch list on ebay. I have to place things in order. The wants for this machine have completely outran my budget.

I bought a very similar one last summer except someone had painted it god awful green its #2646 im slowly cleaning it and painting it machinery grey like yours is... you don't realize how badly used and abused they are until you strip them down to bare metal. im steadily working thru different issues trying to get it up and running

Have you posted a picture of this green machine on here somewhere? I would like to see it before you get it grey.

Not sure if it is the same mounting method, but here's a pic of the backside of a 9B-17 I sold a while back. I used the fenner v-belt coming out of the back of the headstock. HTH

CIMG0384.JPG

Not my picture but this is the same mount that I have with my lathe. I am going to mount it in the same fashion, just bolt it to the bench in line with the lathe.

s-l1601.jpg

yes it will easily mount behind the lathe... but make sure you align your pulleys front to back...a straight edge (thin ruler) will do the job...who ever drilled and bolted mine to that old table was out a 1/4 inch or so... it works just drives me nuts and im sure it side loads the headstock some and probly will end up fraying the belt in time... I will eventually have to slot the holes in the table, which I hate to do...

im just starting to use it a little bit now. working the kinks out... replaced the half nuts and a few other parts trying to slowly tighten everything up again. will finish painting it come spring when its warm enough to go outside with a spray can

Here's some pics of my newly acquired Logan 6561-H. Found it listed on Facebook. Took my dad on his birthday to go look at it. He made the package deal along with a Delta toolmaker. This machine has seen very little use. I'm thinking the wood it's bolted to might be from the factory? We're in the process of cleaning her up. Her name is Layla. She's my very first machine. I'm selling my Shopsmith to make room for her in my garage. She has the taper attachment on her and everything that came with her except the manual and parts list. Even the wrenches are there. She also came with a 5HP rotary phase converter which I plan on removing from the lathe and placing in a seperate room.

20180214_110950.jpg
This is what she looked like when we found her.

20180214_111127.jpg
Opened the cabinet after the deal was made and discovered all the goodies inside.

20180214_125427.jpg
Here's all the goodies she came with.
20180223_142622.jpg
Here's what she looks like today.
20180223_142635.jpg20180223_142639.jpg
20180223_142615.jpg

We're using Kerosene to clean her up and gear oil (85W 140) to keep her ways oiled up until I can get some proper way oil. I'll keep posting pictures as we keep cleaning up all the pieces on her. For my very first machine I think I scored big! She runs great and I can't wait to make my very first chips on her. I'm thinking I'll keep he on the wood. What do you guys think?

Back