Show us your Logan lathes!

Nice score!

You will want to remove the wood runners and use leveling feet to properly level the lathe to remove any twist from the bed.

IMG_3211.jpg

Logan / Montgomery Ward model 74TLC-2130 that my father bought new in 1947 for the princely sum of $207. Railway express shipping from Chicago to northern Virginia added another $4.35 to the bill! I still have all of the original paperwork. :) Back up and running again after years of sitting around in pieces - I had torn it apart a number of years ago to replace seized up spindle bearings. Life intervened and it sat that way for more years than I care to mention, but I recently retired and getting it running again was the first task in setting up my retirement hobby shop. Poor storage had taken its toll on many of the smaller parts (thankfully not the bed or any of the major components) but almost everything cleaned up nicely and now she's happily humming away again. I added the QCTP and am still in the process of "tooling up" - next up will be building racks to hold all the accessories and tooling.

wow looks pretty good. original paint? I have a 41 which is very similar model. someone had painted it gawd awful green over the years ive slowly been cleaning it and rattle canning back to grey... and as im sure you know the price of the tooling is what kills you

Oh yeah - the paint is dinged in a few places but is unretouched and all original. I know what you mean about awful repaint jobs - not long ago I picked up a Clausing 8520 that someone had repainted in sort of a baby blue. Must have been a while ago (or a poor paint job) because even that is chipped badly in places. I'm not a stickler for "original" colors, but it just doesn't look right. However, I was more interested in getting the mill together (I had disassembled it to move it) and running than in "correcting" the paint color, but maybe one of these days...

yes I hear you there, original exact paint matches aren't really important but I just had to get rid of the green and you say some of these paint jobs were not done well... improper cleaning first and pieces not removed to paint... once I get it all painted the same color i'll be happy not worrying about replacing missing badges or anything just want a reliable machine that isn't an eye soar... so what is on your tooling list ive been picking up a few things lately for mine? maybe I can send you in a certain direction

Back