Show us your Logan lathes!

Not a Logan owner yet ...but maybe later this week. I have found a 2555 VL with 24" between centers, QC gear box but no real other goodies other than a 3 jaw chuck and lamp post tool holder (and no steady rest) with it but looks like it is in decent condition with no rust to speak of. I posted in another thread but thought I would ask here if I could ...what would the proper value be on a lathe like this? Also, to get it into my shop how big of a project is it to break it down for moving? Thanks for letting me join in here. Richard

I can't help with how to break it down. The catalog page says that the shipping weight of the 2555-V is 1015 pounds. Probably a hundred pounds of that is crate. The rated distance between centers is 23 inches. The LOA is 59" and the height is 49".

It's tough to qive you a value because so much depends on condition and what tooling it comes with.
Prices vary depending on where the machine is located as well. Try to see whether comparable machines on CL
are similar in price.

Tooling can add quite a bit of cost, so if it's light on tooling, be sure to factor that into the negoiations. It's important to
determine how much the bed is worn on an older machine as well. If the machine is under power, be sure the seller
demonstrates that everything works. If It's not, try to determine what's not working, and make an allowance for repairs.
Don't be afraid to walk away from a lathe that looks like a money pit.

As far as breaking it down, I don't know about that model, but when I bought my Model 200, my son and I broke it down into managable chucks pretty quickly. Just plan on taking a good box of tools, and some friends.

Logans are good lathes, and benefit from decent parts availability through Logan Actuator.

Last edited:
Thanks again. I guess I am looking for a ballpark $$ of a lathe like this with what it has and everything is working properly. I have seen many of this size for sale in the last six months in my area.

How much are they asking for the Logan?, and what's the usual price range for other comparable lathes in your area?

Around here that lathe would be listed for at least $1500. - $2000.00, but prices are high in my area and lathes like that are
thin on the ground. It sounds like that lathe has been pretty well stripped clean of tooling if all it comes with is a 3 jaw chuck. I would find an online Logan catalog, make a list of all the tooling that came with it originally, and point out to the seller all the missing pieces. If it needs any repairs, try to estimate the cost as well. Logan sells parts for older machines,
but they tend to be expensive. When I bought my Logan, I got the lathe cheap, but then spent more than double the price of the machine making repairs and tooling it up. Not trying to discourage you, but just suggesting you know what you're in for if you negotiate with the seller.

I will point out that the cost of new parts for any machine today will reflect what new parts cost today, not what they cost back in the 1960's.

Also, back when machines like this one were new, they didn't "come with" much at all. And although many would disagree with me, I classify things like chucks. QCTP's and holders, steady rests, etc., as accessories, not tooling. Tooling for the most part is expendable, or at least in my use of the term it is. When these machines were new, they seldom came with either accessories or tooling beyond a few minor items like dead centers and wrenches to fit the machine (and which unless the machine was in regular service recently are probably all MIA).

I will point out that the cost of new parts for any machine today will reflect what new parts cost today, not what they cost back in the 1960's.

Also, back when machines like this one were new, they didn't "come with" much at all. And although many would disagree with me, I classify things like chucks. QCTP's and holders, steady rests, etc., as accessories, not tooling. Tooling for the most part is expendable, or at least in my use of the term it is. When these machines were new, they seldom came with either accessories or tooling beyond a few minor items like dead centers and wrenches to fit the machine (and which unless the machine was in regular service recently are probably all MIA).

You're right Robert, but that doesn't mean the OP shouldn't try to negotiate the price down by pointing out their absence. :)

Back