Show us your Logan lathes!

The owner says yes it is running with no problems other than the start capacitor. But actually now I find it has a 4 jaw check but no 3 jaw chuck and no steady rest. A couple of lamp post tool holders. Nothing else to speak of. I grabbed the pictures he listed them with and can now post them here. So I guess I can now somewhat join this thread properly if I in fact get this lathe. :tranquility:

Logan lathe 1.jpeg

Logan Lathe 2.jpeg

Logan lathe 3.jpeg

Last edited:
So, does that mean the lathe doesn't run, but he says it would run fine with a new start capacitor? If so, that's a different case since
it's more difficult to evaluate the condition of a lathe that doesn't run. Kind off like the guy that wants to sell you a car that doesn't run
but wants you to pay just as much because it "only" needs a starter motor.

Have you actually gone to see the lathe?

Here's a pdf of the 1963 Logan catalog with the specs for that lathe. Looks like it came with a 1 HP, 3 phase motor. ( Which wouldn't
have a start capacitor.)

Attachments

• Logan Lathes Catalog 1963.pdf
    8.3 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
He says it runs ...somehow he gets the motor running by hand ....but I will let him do that. So he says I can see it under power. I can't see it until Friday due to his availability. And it is a 5HP motor ...not the original. So with the pictures ....any more input on value folks?

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Nogoingback, post: 611312, member: 43659"
Here's a pdf of the 1963 Logan catalog with the specs for that lathe. Looks like it came with a 1 HP, 3 phase motor. ( Which wouldn't
have a start capacitor.)[/QUOTE]

No. It comes with the switch, but it only says to use a 1 HP 3-phase 1725 RPM motor, not that it was included from Logan. That was standard up until at least in the 1970's. And even then, you could buy a lathe with or without their motor.

If it wouldn't kill the deal, I would take it without that 5HP motor. If you shop around and are willing to take a used one, you can probably buy it for not much more than what a new starting capacitor would cost.

On what accessories it came with, avoid claiming that it came with much of anything, because it's too easy to prove otherwise. Which isn't to say that you can't say something like "if only it had...".

I have a 1 HP motor already that can be wired to 110 or 220 ...I have to check the RPM on it though. The guy that owns this has been a little hard to communicate with and he says the price is firm. I should be he first one to look at it today ...so we will see.

Well ...I saw and bought the lathe. It came with an extra 4 jaw chuck, a couple of face plates and a couple of lamp post tool holders. The ways seem to be in very good condition but of course the whole lathe needs a good going over. Everything does work on it ....but no spanner wrench for removing the chuck. And of course there is the sticker shock of $75 for one from Logan. I did a search here to see the alternatives and did not find a thread that was definitive on finding one. Has anyone come up with an alternative recently? What is the size of that spanner wrench? Thanks,

There are lots of Logan parts on ebay, though I can't remember seeing a wrench like that. Worth a try.
Be sure and post some more photos as you get set up. Congratulations on your new lathe!

Will do on the photos. I looked for one of the wrenches on Ebay ...and other sources but so far nothing specifically Logan. Lots of spanners but I don't know if they will work which is why I was asking if anyone else found an alternative. I like the idea of the L type spindle as opposed to just a threaded spindle though.

It looks like it uses a hook wrench, which are sized by the diameter of the part you're tightening. I bet that's
a standard part and shouldn't be hard to find. I bet if you posted a question on the General Home Shop sub-forum
asking what wrench a long-taper spindle chuck uses, you'll get a definite answer.

https://www.smalltools.com/lathe-spindle-nose-identification-chart/

Here's a vid that should help:

Thanks that helps ...I may try to measure and make one, although it would be great to see an original Logan wrench for reference. Sorry to have hijacked this thread so much ...you guys are great.

Back