Show us your Logan lathes!

There are shall we say six general types of spanners, Face, Hook or Pin, and each can usually be found as either Fixed or Adjustable. You need a Hook Spanner (probably made by either Armstong or Williams) to fit the diameter of the coupling nut that retains the chuck. It can be either fixed or adjustable. The coupling or retaining nut stays on the spindle, has RH threads, and is turned CW (looking from the tailstock end of the lathe) to loosen. You should have no problem finding one on eBay, once you measure the diameter of the nut.

Last edited:
It looks like it uses a hook wrench, which are sized by the diameter of the part you're tightening. I bet that's
a standard part and shouldn't be hard to find. I bet if you posted a question on the General Home Shop sub-forum
asking what wrench a long-taper spindle chuck uses, you'll get a definite answer.

https://www.smalltools.com/lathe-spindle-nose-identification-chart/

Here's a vid that should help:
Interesting.
I like how he tightened it, then hit it a few times whim a hammer to seat it, then tightened a little more.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

I just acquired a Logan 400, S/N 52434 which puts it as manufactured in 1949. It seems to have spent the past several decades in a woodworking shop (lots of oily sawdust) and the man who owned the lathe (I bought it from an estate) obtained it from a fellow US Naval officer. It came with a 4-jaw chuck and the collet chuck and several tailstock Jacobs chucks. The headstock cover was missing and had been replaced with a homemade fiberglass cover, functional but ugly, and I sourced a replacement. This is the lathe as I received it. I'm in the process of dis-assembling the headstock to replace the back gear and replace the V-belt. I'll just clean it up and not re-paint it.
001-EUZl5ZI.jpg

What shape are the headstock bearings in?

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the new lathe.

Both of these Power Kraft (Logan) Lathes I acquired within the last year from Craigslist (from two different sellers). Coincidently both lathes are 1953. The one pictured without the quick change gear box has seen little use and has it's original paperwork including factory inspection card dated 9/11/1953. The lathes wound up costing me $500 each and came with 3 and 4 jaw chucks, backing plates, assorted tooling, and one Dumore tool post grinder. I realize that two lathes may be a bit much but the price was right, I have the room, and use them both. The pictured Palmgren Milling Attachment is a more recent purchase along with a QCTP. I machined the T bolt for the QCTP using the milling attachment. Both lathes appear to have the original belts and they work fine especially considering they are 65 years old!

IMG_4397.JPGIMG_4667.JPGIMG_4669.JPGIMG_4670.JPG

I forgot to mention that I added the stands, they did not come with them. The lathe pictured with the quick change gear box I built the stand for the other I modified, someone else made it years ago for a wood lathe.

Both of these Power Kraft (Logan) Lathes I acquired within the last year from Craigslist (from two different sellers). Coincidently both lathes are 1953. The one pictured without the quick change gear box has seen little use and has it's original paperwork including factory inspection card dated 9/11/1953. The lathes wound up costing me $500 each and came with 3 and 4 jaw chucks, backing plates, assorted tooling, and one Dumore tool post grinder. I realize that two lathes may be a bit much but the price was right, I have the room, and use them both. The pictured Palmgren Milling Attachment is a more recent purchase along with a QCTP. I machined the T bolt for the QCTP using the milling attachment. Both lathes appear to have the original belts and they work fine especially considering they are 65 years old!

View attachment 278259View attachment 278260View attachment 278261View attachment 278262
I like that bench with the tool carts under it.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Back