Show us your Logan lathes!

On my Model 200, the stock bearing had a seal on one side only, so it might work to put in the bag and simply work it in by hand. My understanding is that overgreasing should be avoided and that 1/3 of the volume should be greased, but hopefully the resident bearing experts around here (and there are some) will weigh in on that subject.

It appears that Chevron SRI-2 is the bearing grease to use. I ordered it from Amazon for $12.85.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FL5BYGC/

The suggestion (from Scott Logan, IIRC) to soak the bearings in Pine Sol, rinse with hot water and repeat until the water runs clean worked as promised.

Repacking the bearings using using a kitchen vacuum food-saver worked well. I found it easiest to do one bearing at a time, coating the edges heavily with grease and placing the bag under vacuum. The only problem I ran into was knowing just how much grease was in the bearing since the recommendation is to fill it only 1/3 to 1/2 full. I probably got too much grease in each one, but . . .

I've heard of a trick done back in the day where you put grease in a metal pail, throw in your bearings, and put the bucket over a fire. The hot grease thins out and soaks into the bearings and when it cools the grease thickens and they're greased. Never tried it but it does makes sense. Just a thought. Vacuum bag sounds easier but never tried either

View attachment 211393
This is the only picture of my 820 I have right now. The history I know of it is that it was originally owned by Essex Wire in Fort Wayne. My brother's friend's granddad acquired it, and parked it in a shed for untold years. It was given to my brother, who later said I could have it. It was dusty, dirty, and full of crap. So far I've cleaned, oiled, bought a new chuck, new single phase 120v motor (I no longer have the three phase motor and now need the step pulley) and a drill chuck for the tailstock. I've been at the computer for several days drawing a taper attachment that I probably won't make anytime soon. Looking at these restored lathes makes me want to strip it down and repaint it.
Message me or come visit me,would LOVE to help you get this up and running again.. I am in Kendallville

I thought I would post my two: The '62 1825 was done last year. The '51 955 was just finished up!

The 955 was a fun project. I reluctantly (too many projects) purchased it from a debris hauler. He said it was heading for the scrape yard. Given its terrible appearance, I thought I could get some parts for the 1825. Being a turret lathe, the ways cleaned up nice and were in great shape, so I wasn't going to part it out. Hence, the clean up and putting my South Bend 10L on hold. It has the original Peerless 1/2 1PH motor with a Lovejoy variable pulley. I have never seen quite the setup this one has. The variable brass speed handle has an LA- designation. It also has a brake and tailstock with a beefy quill and point indicator towards the handle (with is graduated). It was a basket case...but fun!

Last edited:
I thought I would post my two: The '62 1825 was done last year. The '51 955 was just finished up!

View attachment 289869View attachment 289870
The 955 was a fun project. I reluctantly (too many projects) purchased it from a debris hauler. He said it was heading for the scrape yard. Given its terrible appearance, I thought I could get some parts for the 1825. Being a turret lathe, the ways cleaned up nice and were in great shape, so I wasn't going to part it out. Hence, the clean up and putting my South Bend 10L on hold. It has the original Peerless 1/2 1PH motor with a Lovejoy variable pulley. I have never seen quite the setup this one has. The variable brass speed handle has an LA- designation. It also has a brake and tailstock with a beefy quill and point indicator towards the handle (with is graduated). It was a basket case...but fun!
You did great justice to those lathes - VERY nice work!

John

I have two Logans at the moment, but for now, I'll just share the one at work. It's a 927 (which I don't see many of), serial number 56767. I got it from a state auction. Much of the lathe was in excellent shape, but the bull and back gears had been severely crashed, and needed repaired. I've sorted most of that out now, and I went through the whole machine, replacing bearings and repainting everything. I went for a "Fallout" paint theme, for anyone familiar with the game, and I'm pretty happy with it. IMG_20190511_203221_349.jpg
IMG_20190511_203221_350.jpg

Back