Show us your old iron!

Here's my 1947 K&T 2HL. :grin:
Not in great shape but it works!

It's currently receiving some modernization(cnc, motorized chip shields etc).

I have a thread about the renovation/modification process but it's a bit dead at the moment since I haven't had energy to work on the mill for some weeks now.

Last edited:
I bought this Baldwin planer about 2001 just after I quit working for other people, I do not think it was used very much.
The Ken Copes book on foot powered machinery has a lot on Baldwin including what they called a hand planer and power planer. According to the cuts from an 1869 catalog, you could get it in a 22 inch version for $95 and a 40 inch model at $115 and both were hand versions. They also offered a power version in 36 in and 48 inch.
100_0828.JPG

I bought this Baldwin planer about 2001 just after I quit working for other people, I do not think it was used very much.
The Ken Copes book on foot powered machinery has a lot on Baldwin including what they called a hand planer and power planer. According to the cuts from an 1869 catalog, you could get it in a 22 inch version for $95 and a 40 inch model at $115 and both were hand versions. They also offered a power version in 36 in and 48 inch.
View attachment 307956
oh, that is NEAT!

Just signed up to this forum so I can do some brain picking, but this seems like a good thread to start in.:)

I picked up this old bertram a couple months ago, about all I know about it is that it's newer than 1901. Online info is...sparse to say the least. It was cheap, photos in ad were terrible, and it was on a gulf island that required an extra ferry. Fun retrieval mission and it definitely needed someone to rescue it.

The brass tags have been stolen off it at some point in the last 100 years, so threading will be a bit of an experiment for a bit. Doubt I'll be doing much anyways tho.

I'm sure it's not going to be laser accurate, but then neither am I :p

Haven't got it powered up yet, because I still need to hang the step pulley, mount the motor, find some flat belting etc etc.

Need to get the other chucks and face plate cleaned up too. You can see that stuff in the background. It all spent too much time outside under a tarp, but so far everything has freed up easily.

IMG_20191209_134748 (1).jpg

Even the chuck mounted on the lathe came loose with just a tap from a rubber mallet. I'd been worried that was going to be a permanent fixture.

anyone know of a source for flat belts in canada? I've found a couple in the states, but shipping can be pretty brutal.

And not exactly in the same weight class, but I think it's still pretty cool. Old delta dp 600.

IMG_20200127_082438.jpg

Just picked up this 1922 Sidney 12" engine lathe. A few things are broken, but pretty much functional. I need to put it thru the paces and check it all before tearing it down for a rebuild. Picked up the milling machine as well, which may end up being rebuilt first. Anybody with sources for any docs for the lathe?

image_6487327.JPGimage_6483441.JPGimage_6483442.JPGimage_6483443.JPG

I'm a bit surprised at the number of post since my last one. I haven't gotten any alerts that additional posts had been added. All in all it looks like there are several members using older iron. In my case most of the "old iron" in my shop wasn't all that old when I started using it. Most of it has aged "gracefully' unlike the owner.

I had forgotten about this thread. :grin:
I bought this 2000kg/4410lbs lathe a few months back.
Haven't dared start it up yet as I haven't cleaned and relubed the spindle bearings but it ran according to previous owner.
Made in Sweden back in 1938.
400044_31TOBB21FMKGG1622722716.jpg
400044_UB559EMLYY1H1622722718.jpg

Getting close to having the lathe finished. Found lots of fixed lubricants throughout. Oil/Grease/who knows what in a given bearing of ways. So still have to get the ways cleaned up.
View attachment 384732View attachment 384733
Is that 1860 tag a number plate, or the year this was made?
I think you need a new pulley.. a sexy one with the curved spokes. It would do it justice.. right now it just doesn't look right.
Those legs look familiar...

Back