7f94fc48.jpg

IMG_0928.jpg

IMG_0928.jpg

Image00070a.jpg

Image00070a.jpg

That is a neat lathe!!!
Any chance of a video of it in action??

Andrew
I may make a video for selling it. I never have done any glass work. I bought it to use for drilling holes until I found out that it is worth 8k+ to the right people. I will make a thread showing the rebuild stuff and will post in the general section. I found a comparable lathe from Litton Eng at this link
http://www.littonengr.com/Products.cfm?pn=F11%2D111&pID=718 . They want $12,500us for the basic one without the "fire carriage". The coax type means the sub-spindle disconnects from the syncronis drive .

A few pics of my old American Iron
Built in Dec, 1941
Make Sidney Tool co, Sidney Ohio
14X30 Engine Lathe
Wt 4200 LBS

Paul

Just cleaned the shop over the weekend, so this is as clean as it will ever be!

p_01038.jpg p_01036.jpg 12 inch 3jaw 04.jpg

Last edited:
My first lathe best guess is this was build around 1906 20 X 60 ATW Lathe. WWas going to the scrap myard if not saved.

Paul

Paul, I think I had a brother or cousin to that lathe. It was a 20 x 40 as I recall. It's sitting in the weeds right now. I may get it back if someone wants a project. Mine was around 1913 or so I believe. I don't know if I had any pictures of it, but I'll look. Maybe I'll go take some if someone is interested.

Last edited:
Paul, I think I had a brother or cousin to that lathe. It was a 20 x 40 as I recall. It's sitting in the weeds right now. I may get it back if someone wants a project. Mine was around 1913 or so I believe. I don't know if I had any pictures of it, but I'll look. Maybe I'll go take some if someone is interested.

If know one's interested I could use the star knobs off the carriage. Someone brazed mine back in the day.

Paul

-
I got this Prentise Bros. treadle lathe, a few years ago. It had been in one family for 4 generations. I bought it from the 4th owner. It is complete with various chuck, steady rest, face plate, change gears and a lot of vintage tooling. I do not intend to restore but hope to clean it up and preserve it some day.

Lathe-15.jpg
Lathe-17.jpg
Lathe-2.jpg
Lathe-10.jpg
Lathe-4.jpg
Lathe-12.jpg
Lathe-14.jpg

The seller built a power unit for it, when he was in high school, back in the 1950's The power unit stands behind the hearstock and bolts to the back of the lathe using 2 of the existing factory holes.

DriveUnit.jpg

Here is some of the tooling that came with it.

Tooling-8.jpg
Tooling-7.jpg
Tooling-5.jpg
Tooling-12.jpg

Charlie W.

Lathe-15.jpg

Lathe-15.jpg

Lathe-17.jpg

Lathe-17.jpg

Lathe-2.jpg

Lathe-2.jpg

Lathe-10.jpg

Lathe-10.jpg

Lathe-4.jpg

Lathe-4.jpg

Lathe-12.jpg

Lathe-12.jpg

Lathe-14.jpg

Lathe-14.jpg

DriveUnit.jpg

DriveUnit.jpg

Tooling-8.jpg

Tooling-7.jpg

Tooling-8.jpg

Tooling-7.jpg

Tooling-5.jpg

Tooling-5.jpg

Tooling-12.jpg

Tooling-12.jpg

-
I got this Prentise Bros. treadle lathe, a few years ago. It had been in one family for 4 generations. I bought it from the 4th owner. It is complete with various chuck, steady rest, face plate, change gears and a lot of vintage tooling. I do not intend to restore but hope to clean it up and preserve it some day.

Lathe-15.jpg
Lathe-17.jpg
Lathe-2.jpg
Lathe-10.jpg
Lathe-4.jpg
Lathe-12.jpg
Lathe-14.jpg

The seller built a power unit for it, when he was in high school, back in the 1950's The power unit stands behind the hearstock and bolts to the back of the lathe using 2 of the existing factory holes.

DriveUnit.jpg

Here is some of the tooling that came with it.

Tooling-8.jpg
Tooling-7.jpg
Tooling-5.jpg
Tooling-12.jpg

Charlie W.

Charlie

Thats so cool
Man if I had that machine, Id have her all shined/ painted, and parked in the Living Room. Love that old stuff

Paul

Lathe-15.jpg

Lathe-15.jpg

Lathe-17.jpg

Lathe-17.jpg

Lathe-2.jpg

Lathe-2.jpg

Lathe-10.jpg

Lathe-10.jpg

Lathe-4.jpg

Lathe-4.jpg

Lathe-12.jpg

Lathe-12.jpg

Lathe-14.jpg

Lathe-14.jpg

DriveUnit.jpg

DriveUnit.jpg

Tooling-8.jpg

Tooling-8.jpg

Tooling-7.jpg

Tooling-7.jpg

Tooling-5.jpg

Tooling-5.jpg

Tooling-12.jpg

Tooling-12.jpg

Awesome pics guys!!!

I will get round to taking some pics of my South Bend soon!!

Andrew

Back