Show us your old iron!

Nice to see the lathe in your garage!! It really was my pleasure to join you on the trip. Towards the early morning I was so tired I only kept talking to keep you awake. I am not usually that talkative but we needed to get home and you needed to be conscious for that.

We work together and it's our interest in machines that set us on a collision course... oh and a train the trainer course :whistle:

The machine is really a beast. We shaved about 2mm off mild steel in one swipe to create a test bar. It peeled it off without missing a beat, producing a blue, thick wire of swarf. Those Swedes built wonderful machines and I consider myself lucky to live in Norway where I have access to them. I never dreamed of having such a great workshop full of European tools while in Australia.

Overall a great result and Bjorn scored a nice lathe.

Paul.

I'm not much older. I think they wanted the mass as much as had to put up with it in those days. So many foundrys all over being able to produce. Now everything comes from china and needs to be as light as possible for shipping and materials.

Give me an older heavyweight over a lightweight any day. The older ones can be fixed and will be perfect, the newer ones seem to just get replaced.

Late 1800's to early 1900's vintage die set. LARGE dies. Picked it all up for $40. Used the 1" 8tpi on an brass urn I made last weekend. 120+ years sounds like old iron to me.

IMG_00000192.jpgIMG_00000191.jpgIMG_00000190.jpgIMG_00000189.jpg

IMG_00000192.jpg IMG_00000191.jpg IMG_00000190.jpg IMG_00000189.jpg

Just picked up an Alba metal shaper made sometime in the late 1940's. Don't know exactly what I'm going to use it for but it looked to pretty not to bring home.

030.JPG

030.JPG

Just picked up an Alba metal shaper made sometime in the late 1940's. Don't know exactly what I'm going to use it for but it looked to pretty not to bring home.

View attachment 63235

Yep me too a while ago, it must be an affliction, sometimes it's just too hard to resist these things :)

Bernard

Hello All,

Here's a Cunliffe Universal Horizontal mill I purchased recently that dates to around 1960. It came complete with a Cunliffe dividing head and tailstock for spiral milling.

IMGP0781600x800_zpsbd56951f.jpg

IMGP0792600x800_zpsd9af9788.jpg
Cheers... :)

Brian

Quite an impressive machine! The geared/driven dividing head is indeed impressive, but that's definitely the FIRST time I've seen a swiveling table! Not that I know diddly anything about horizontal mills ... but is that a common/typical feature?

Hello John,

This particular make of milling machine came in three variants at around 1960. The "Universal", like mine, a basic horizontal and a vertical milling machine. I believe that most "Universal" horizontal milling machines at that time would have been available with a dividing head that would connect to the table feed through gearing.

Cheers ... :)_

Brian

Last edited:
Heavy Metal illness

Heavy Metal illness.
1967 Clausing 6913, Diamond mill (50s), 1963 Hardinge HLV-H , 80s Jet 12x24, Hardinge Dividing head
clausing 1.JPG
Diamond mill 2.jpg
hardinge at home 4.JPG
jet 1.JPG
dividing head 1.JPG

clausing 1.JPG Diamond mill 2.jpg hardinge at home 4.JPG jet 1.JPG dividing head 1.JPG

This is an old craftsmen lathe I had. I've since bought a clausing colchester 6525.

image.jpg image.jpg

OK, some big iron....

This is my biggest piece of iron weighing in at 5,800 pounds.

IMG_0446.JPG

Back