Show us your old iron!

Really neat!
Get your exercise while you turn.

Thanks
Ray

Got the red Boye and Emmes (Big Red) off the trailer, wired and leveled this weekend.
That makes 4 lathes.
Two Boye and Emmes, a Gisholt 5, and a Powercraft (Logan) 10inch.
Yes, this looks like a party waiting to happen!!

Daryl
MN

IMG_1589[1].JPG IMG_1592[1].JPG

I think this will complete my sawing department. For the moment being :rolleyes:

View attachment 96596

More flat belt!
My wife may talk me into traveling again, She'd like that.
Would you consider an extensive shop tour... note this'd be a hands on tour.... I'd bring my safety glasses and steel toed boots.

Daryl
MN

That will be fine, hopefully there are a lot of flat belt inventories for you too :D

New old Lathe from Sweden

Hi,

I just got my first old/used (vintage?) lathe!

I have a Grizzly lathe G9972Z with DRO, which is fine. But I felt it was slightly underpowered for some of the tasks I wanted it to do. At work, I got in contact with samthedog/Paul and we had some interesting conversations on lathes, tooling etc. A persistent advice from him was: Get a good lathe - does not have to be new.

I have been looking at a new PM1236, which will fit into my new workshop (going to show some pictures later of that project). By adding freight and tax on that lathe and tax on the freight, the total is pretty close to 5000USD. For that sum I could get an used Colchester Triumph 2000 (who does not want that one in the shed !). But, then not much space for anything else and the light will blink every time I turn the power on. I had to let it go - dohh. On the next step DOWN in price I could get a school run Colchester CNC, for about 3500 USD. Hmmmm. still to big for my shed and not much fun.

Paul told me that Sweden has a much broader base of machines compared to Norway,and he advised me to look at www.blocket.se. I found quite a few interesting lathes. I seriously considered the Koping S8 for sturdiness and accuracy. An absolute superubercool machine - quite similar to the Monarch I take. Well, too big for my shed and it required some costly rewiring (actually installation) to industry standard mains supply. I started to look more closely on two interesting prospects: The Torshälla SV 150. One had been run in school environment and not much used. The other one had been used in production - and more expensive (double the price compared to the school lathe). After a few email/photo exchanges with the seller and some calls to Paul, we concluded that the priciest one probably had (for us, hidden) wearing close to the chuck. I decided to drive down to Sweden and have a look at the school version. The driving distance was 450km or roughly 6.5 hours with car.

Paul offered me to join me, a generous offer I thanked yes to. We started about 11am on sunday morning. The speed limit with trailer in Sweden and Norway is 80km/h - so it took us some time to get down to Norkøpig. The seller had a farm and had kept the lathe in a dry and warm room - in his soon to be carpenter workshop. He also had a large Tractor that we could use to load the lathe onto the trailer. The lathe was in an acceptable conditions but we had to give it a test drive to check runout and taper. Paul had brought with him a raw stock of 1018 or 1045 - not sure which one of them. I ran some quick head calculations and put the rpm and feed range on target. Ready and go - the test cut went perfect! The next step was to check taper with Paul˙s dial indicator - a Mitutoyo type, pretty accurate I take.

Taper per 350mm, less than 20 micrometer.

Runout inside the MT5 spindle: Hardly noticeable

During initial phone calls with the seller, he reduced the price to below USD 1500. I had no objections. He kept his promise and we could shake hands.

The seller had a large tractor and was very helpful with the loading of the lathe to the trailer. We carefully checked and double checked all transport band and were heading for home around 9pm Sunday evening. It was going to be a long drive and we had to drive very carefully. At this time of year, we have the elk hunting season in Sweden and Norway and it is a very real danger to be hit by 600kg of meat running in front of your car. It was also a bit foggy at places.

Paul is a very open and honest man - and it easy to have interesting talks and conversations with him. Much appreciated by me.

After some 7 to 8 hours drive, we could finally park the trailer. The clock was 5am in the morning. Paul should have an important meeting this morning and he told me later he got about an hour of sleep after he got home! I got at least 4 before i had to go to work.

My lathe was still parked on the trailerfor the next two days. I had no idea on how to get it offloaded from the parking position. Figured out I could give my local building company a call. They could help and the driver helped me unloading the lathe into my garage. Dry, not too moisty, but cold. Eventually (pretty soon) the lathe and my mill shall be moved into my heated and insulated shed.

Here it is:
View attachment 62341View attachment 62342
The front doors have been removed during transport. I also have a chip tray. I need to adjust a bit here and there but overall impression is great! For those of you wondering what kind of spindle it is: From what I have learned to far it is a Logan long taper L0. And for those of you who wonder if all the metric gears are included: Yes, they are. And in good shape.

I will try to do some writeup of the refurbishing process.

That was the short version of how I got a new tool! I hope you enjoyed the story!

Bjorn

View attachment 62341View attachment 62342

Back