Show us your old iron!

My turn; here's my 1918 Mulliner Enlund 14" engine lathe, made in Syracuse , New York, right before the Porter-Cable buyout. I restored the lathe down to the last screw, and for being 101 years young, the old girl is still pretty darn accurate!
36578921334_cc34b52e73_z.jpg

-James Huston

How does one define "Old Iron"? I have a number of machines in the shop that may qualify depending on the definition. Some machines are pre 1920, others are from the 1940's, a few are from the 1950's, the 1960's, the 1970's, and the 1980's. I believe even the newest in the shop are pre 2000. So, depending on the definition some or all may qualify.

soa.jpg

My Seneca Falls Star 30. 1910-ish as near as I can determine.

My turn; here's my 1918 Mulliner Enlund 14" engine lathe, made in Syracuse , New York, right before the Porter-Cable buyout. I restored the lathe down to the last screw, and for being 101 years young, the old girl is still pretty darn accurate!
View attachment 296697

-James Huston
Very nice! How long did the restoration take?

Regards,
Terry

About six weeks to dismantle, repair some cracks, make a couple of new gears, paint and reassemble. Luckily, it was largely intact and unmolested. The overhead drive was grafted on sometime in the '30's ( it's from a 15" South Bend) , but it's a well done conversion, and only needed a few cracks welded.
-James Huston

About six weeks to dismantle, repair some cracks, make a couple of new gears, paint and reassemble. Luckily, it was largely intact and unmolested. The overhead drive was grafted on sometime in the '30's ( it's from a 15" South Bend) , but it's a well done conversion, and only needed a few cracks welded.
-James Huston
Wow. I would have guessed more like a year or two. Good find AND good job!

Regards,
Terry

Back