Show us your old iron!

Here are a few of the older machines in my shop. There are several more.

The lathe is a 1916 Seneca Falls Star #20.

The horizontal mill is a 1941 US Machine Tools #1.

The shaper is a 7" 1942 AMMCO

The power hacksaw is a 1955 Racine 66W2

The surface grinder is a 1956 Sanford MG

DSCF8081.JPG
DSCF8074.JPGDSCF8025.JPG
DSC09971.JPG
DSCF8037.JPG

I don't know if I would call it "winning". Keep in mind only a few of the machines are older than me.
Nah, take it from one 'Madisonian' to another - you win.

Don't know how old you are, but interestingly your 'join' date was my 65th birthday. Still waiting for my present. (Any one of those pieces of equipment will do.)

Regards,
Terry

Here are a few more pieces of old iron. They're not as old as the last ones. They are probably better classified as "Obsolete" rather than antiques.

The sander is a 6" x 48" belt and 12" disk 1955 Delta Rockwell

The lathe is a 1960 Sheldon 13" MW-56-P

The Mill is a 1972 Bridgeport

The drill grinder is a 1974 Black Diamond.

DSC00029.JPG
DSC00013A.jpg
DSCF8041.JPG
DSC00008A.jpg

I had the privilege of using some of these machines when they and I were much younger. The sander, horizontal mill, yet unseen Greenerd arbor press, Jet 125 VS3 drill press, Challenge surface plate, Drafting board and machine, and a couple other pieces came from the company I worked for. In about 2000 they decided to close down our machine development department and the machine shops associated with it. I was assigned the task of liquidating the assets of a couple machine shops.

All the assets were offered to other shops and production facilities within the system. When all was said and done the remaining equipment was supposed to be sold to the scrappers. I negotiated a deal with the management to purchase the machines at the same price the scrapper was willing to pay. The only caveat was that I not resell any of the equipment for at least 5 years. The 5 years came and went nearly 15 years ago, and I still have all the machines. Not only that I was able to purchase more from other shops they closed a couple years ago.

Between those machines and the ones that came from other shops in the area my shop is nearly full. About the only items remaining on my somewhat inactive wish list are a Moore #1 jig bore machine, and either a Fosdick or a Standard Modern radial drill. There are others I would consider if they happened to come along at the right time and price, but there is nothing on the "must have" list.

I had the privilege of using some of these machines when they and I were much younger. The sander, horizontal mill, yet unseen Greenerd arbor press, Jet 125 VS3 drill press, Challenge surface plate, Drafting board and machine, and a couple other pieces came from the company I worked for. In about 2000 they decided to close down our machine development department and the machine shops associated with it. I was assigned the task of liquidating the assets of a couple machine shops.

All the assets were offered to other shops and production facilities within the system. When all was said and done the remaining equipment was supposed to be sold to the scrappers. I negotiated a deal with the management to purchase the machines at the same price the scrapper was willing to pay. The only caveat was that I not resell any of the equipment for at least 5 years. The 5 years came and went nearly 15 years ago, and I still have all the machines. Not only that I was able to purchase more from other shops they closed a couple years ago.

Between those machines and the ones that came from other shops in the area my shop is nearly full. About the only items remaining on my somewhat inactive wish list are a Moore #1 jig bore machine, and either a Fosdick or a Standard Modern radial drill. There are others I would consider if they happened to come along at the right time and price, but there is nothing on the "must have" list.
Do I even need to say it?

Back