Show us your old iron!

Hello all. I picked up a box of lathe parts last week end. It seems most of it is there. I have the bed, apron, cross slide, gear box, and ral piece. Missing the spindle head, but I can not identify what brand head to look for. Here is a picture of the ways pattern. If anyone recognizes it please help me out.

Thanks
Rick
Hello and welcome.

Yes, more pics will help. Also you can start your own thread to keep from getting buried in this one.

Chances of finding a good headstock to fit your bed are fairly slim but worth a look.

Once you figure out what you have you can decide if it’s worth trying to repair or just part it out and search for something complete.

John

Hello all. I picked up a box of lathe parts last week end. It seems most of it is there. I have the bed, apron, cross slide, gear box, and ral piece. Missing the spindle head, but I can not identify what brand head to look for. Here is a picture of the ways pattern. If anyone recognizes it please help me out.

Thanks
Rick
I think the bed ways might indicate its a southbend.

But as to what model, we need more information.

any data plates, casting marks, more pictures, etc.

I think the bed ways might indicate its a southbend.

But as to what model, we need more information.

any data plates, casting marks, more pictures, etc.
Everyone except Atlas copied South Bend.
They were the industry standard for years.

My early 1950’s Smart and Brown SAB. I’m in the middle of refurbishing this. I’ll post pictures here when it’s done.

9cdec436e635334f5a3975b47c07344f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about this gnarly old beast at work? It's a 1970s vintage Poreba. Not sure what taper the tailstock is, but i wouldn't put that thing in a truck i cared about. 53" swing, 60 hp.
20221102_023956.jpg

20221102_024010.jpg

20221102_024018.jpg

I recently acquired this mill. It's still sitting on a pallet at the moment, but I'm planning to get it onto its mounting feet this weekend. It's in pretty good shape and came with scales already installed for X and Y but no DRO. I picked up a tablet mount and will be hooking up TouchDRO once the board comes in. The small tablet I have mounted up is an old Amazon Fire. I will probably replace it with a larger one in the future.

Alliant.jpg

The machine is a 1993, with a 3HP 3ph motor. I'll be using a rotary phase converter to help power it. Future upgrades will probably include one or more power feeds.

I got this 1942 Sebastian 16 inch model H lathe from a friend whose dad bought it to play with in retirement and passed away before getting it going.

Attachments

• IMG_0207.JPG
    IMG_0207.JPG
    516.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Also got this Barnes metal lathe at an auction. Not sure of model . The auction guys dropped it and broke the nice cast iron leg. Nickel rods got it back together. Needs the correct chuck. It is fun but not too useful.

Attachments

• IMG_0209.JPG
    IMG_0209.JPG
    511.6 KB · Views: 14
Back