Show us your older 3-phase machines run by a VFD!

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Show us PHOTOS of your older, three-phase machines, run by a VFD

(Please supply specifics under the photos!)

Example:

pw_progress7.jpg

Old mill run by a VFD

pw_progress8.jpg

VFD controls disguised in a period control box.

Nelson

pw_progress7.jpg pw_progress8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Will a video do?

1978 Enco GL-30B Mill/Drill. Was given to me, has a 2 hp 3 phase motor running on a TECO VFD. I can run this as slow as 50rpm, up to around 4500 rpm. I've made the minimum setting 15 hertz, max setting of 75 hertz. Starts from 0-set speed in 2-3 seconds, decel is set at 2 seconds. I get a over current decel if I set it any slower.

I've since removed the belt cover & intermediate pulley, as the bearings are shot in that pulley. It runs quite well with the motor pulley going direct to the spindle pulley.

th_100_2641.jpg

Mark,

Thank you for posting that- a video is great, and links to videos from Youtube show here as videos thanks to our video integration system.

I'm asking for more contributions on this if you please because it really helps those new to VFD's to see the setups on other machines.

Thanks!

Nelson

I thought I had entered the url correctly, obviously I didn't. I suppose I could upload the video into the downloads section if that would be better. Just show me the way! LOL

Clausing 4913, powered with a Teco FM50 VFD.

I rewired the stock drum switch for low voltage so I could use the standard controls for F-N-R. I also added a potentiometer in the belt cover to remotely control the speed/frequency and a external braking resistor.

Future project is a homemade belt grinder powered a 1.5 HP 3PH Baldor motor I scored off of CL for $50.

DSC02715.jpg DSC09536 (Large).JPG DSC02716.jpg

DSC09538 (Large).JPG DSC02720.jpg DSC09539 (Large).jpg

DSC09535 (Large).JPG

DSC02715.jpg DSC09536 (Large).JPG DSC02716.jpg DSC09538 (Large).JPG DSC02720.jpg DSC09539 (Large).jpg DSC09535 (Large).JPG

This is useful to see as I may well have the same inverter as you,
I am reluctant on wiring this myself to the machine control switches etc..
The lathe is a Colchester student 1800 square head approximately 1973/74.

DSCF0005.jpg

DSCF0005.jpg

Seeing the wiring close up is fantastically helpful!

Any other setups? Please feel free to post!

Nelson

Finally got around to having some time on the computer to upload a couple pictures.

Power comes in from the wall on the top, power to the motor goes out the bottom. I used heavier wire than needed, but that's ok. It's a 12-3 SJOO cord plugging into a 20A 220V single phase line.

Pic 1 - Power from subpanel
Pic 2 - TECO mounted on the mill
Pic 3 - VFD wired into the motor

I uploaded the manual for this one in the downloads section.

100_2629.jpg 100_2639.jpg IMAG0243.jpg

100_2629.jpg 100_2639.jpg IMAG0243.jpg

hey,

this is my first ever you tube video.. i thought i would try to post/embed it here to see if i could get it to work..

I didnt speak because i'm from western ky and have the redneck twang in my voice..

the video is sideways so you'll have to tilt your head.

its my 1972 bridgeport running on a GEvat20 vfd, the GE vat20vfd is aka FM50 203-c, 220 single phase input, 230 3 phase output..

i still want to wire in a 12vdc transformer and put a fan in the enclosure, i might have to move the unit down in the enclosure, but not to big a deal...

i was also thinking of a brake resistor, what do you guys think about running a brake resistor with the bridgeport?

heres the video, sorry for it being a crappy video, think i need to change my video settings.. also the audio is kind of bad, the mill isnt anywhere near as loud as it seems in the video.. the mill is running around 1200rpm...

[video=youtube_share;Ja5CZHVRM8U]http://youtu.be/Ja5CZHVRM8U[/video]

Back