Show us your older 3-phase machines run by a VFD!

aI have some photo's of mine as of Sunday afternoon before I was ORDERED to cut the grass Immediately, or else.

Alex.

DSCF0006.jpg

DSCF0006.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope this thread expands! To me, adding vfds to drill presses(or on any machine) seems very desirable. Unfortunately for me, I first have to pay out for the 3ph motors plus the vfd. Maybe someday into the future.......

Here's an early 1900's B&S surface grinder outfitted with VFD... One of the best pieces of equipment in the shop! Still holds tens edge to edge. The VFD adds a lot as I switch between 8 and 6" wheels a good bit.

View attachment 48961

Here's 6 of mine ...

1. 1993 Bridgeport Series 1, 2hp vertical mill with an ABB VFD located in a rear-mounted electrical box controlled by my custom panel
2. 1929 Southbend 11x60 lathe with a Woods VFD controlled by my custom panel
3. 1961 Ford-Smith 10" double arbor wire wheel with a Korean VFD controlled by my custom panel
4. 1998 Burr King 2x60 belt grinder with an Allen Bradley VFD controlled by my custom panel
5. 1996 FPS 3x89 backstand belt grinder with a Woods VFD
6. 2012 custom built multi buffer station with an Allen Bradley VFD hidden inside a 1960 vintage cast iron pedestal

IMG_3963.JPG IMG_3964.JPG IMG_3962.JPG IMG_3960.JPG IMG_3961.JPG IMG_3965.JPG

Here's 6 of mine ...

1. 1993 Bridgeport Series 1, 2hp vertical mill with an ABB VFD located in a rear-mounted electrical box controlled by my custom panel
2. 1929 Southbend 11x60 lathe with a Woods VFD controlled by my custom panel
3. 1961 Ford-Smith 10" double arbor wire wheel with a Korean VFD controlled by my custom panel
4. 1998 Burr King 2x60 belt grinder with an Allen Bradley VFD controlled by my custom panel
5. 1996 FPS 3x89 backstand belt grinder with a Woods VFD
6. 2012 custom built multi buffer station with an Allen Bradley VFD hidden inside a 1960 vintage cast iron pedestal

Bill and all,
Great photos, guys!!!!

Another option to control your stuff, other than 3-phase VFDs is to use DC motors and controllers. Smaller ones like 2hp and less can sometimes be had for a very reasonable price. I think I only paid $100 for the 1HP DC motor and Fincor controller I put on my small 17" drill press. I have a 2HP Dc motor and controller that I will eventually put on my 20" drill press.

1. 17" off-shore drill press pimped out with a DC motor and controller, power table, tooling trays, etc
2. 1952 Monarch 10EE lathe with the original 5hp DC motor and my custom built control panel

Just some ideas for you guys. Cheers, Bill

IMG_3966.JPG IMG_3967.JPG

Nightshift, where did you source your switches? The few I've found have been out of this world expensive ($120+ per switch) and I'm hopeful there is a more reasonable option out there.

Nightshift, where did you source your switches? The few I've found have been out of this world expensive ($120+ per switch) and I'm hopeful there is a more reasonable option out there.

Z ... they are all Allen Bradley 800 series (except the smaller ones that came with the Fincor DC controller for my small drill press). I use A-B 800's exclusively ... they are so easy to configure. I get them on eBay when I see them for a reasonable price. I always have a good "stock" of them ready for future projects :phew: Most of my motor contactors are A-B as well. It's all top quality stuff. Cheers, Bill

IMG_3969.JPG

Logan 820

My Logan 820. It has the original 3 phase motor, Teco 7300 VFD with controls mounted on top. Controls include start and stop buttons. fwd/rev and speed control. The VFD is mounted below. The white switch below cuts off power to the VFD, the gray plastic box really just covers up the wires. Note the vent holes in the gray box, they are on both sides.

logan820_a7.JPG logan820_a4.JPG

Back