Show us your restored lathe- before and after!

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Guys,

Let's see how you got it, and how it looked AFTER you were done working on it.

LOVE to see those transformations!

Thanks,

Nelson

I bought this 1947 SBL from an electrician friend. I asked him what he does with a lathe and he told me he didn't use it anymore and was going to get rid of it. I asked him how much and told him I wanted it. I went back to the shop for my trailor and when I got back he had it hanging from an over head hoist. I backed under it and took it home.

P1010081.JPG P1010082.JPG P1010083.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Between calls I started to disassemble it and clean it up. Rather than taking it to my shop at home I took it to my shop at work. Since I didn't take it home I didn't have to explain it to my wife....... right away. ;D Eventually I told her what a great deal I found and she wanted to see it. She works around and rebuilds old wornout equipment on a daily basis and she thought I got a good deal on this one. I'm still working on it except now it's in my home shop. We did most of the work before we brought it home. (She helped me with the refurbish and she did all of the painting.)

P1010090.jpg P1010080.JPG P1010084.JPG P1010085.JPG P1010086.JPG P1010088.jpg

She took many of the parts to work with her and bead blasted them. The gear train had some teeth missing on a couple of the gears. I brazed them up and recut them on my Smithy. The gear box had a worn fit on one of the shafts and I line bored the fit and made a bronze bushing to repair that. In order to get the shaft out I had to make a hammer wrench out of 1/4" plate, to remove the retaining nut inside the gearbox. That was my wife's idea, I had never heard of a hammer wrench, she said they make them a lot at work when nothing else will fit.

DSC00315.JPG DSC00492.JPG DSC00414.JPG

This is what I used for the bush and this is the gearbox with the new bushing.

DSC00495.JPG DSC00496.JPG

This is how it looks now. The gearbox still hasn't been painted and all of the covers haven't been put back on. Right now I have the spindle out waiting on oiler wicks I ordered from SBlatheman. When they come in I'ii start back in on putting things back in running order.
By the way, the nut on the right end of the stack of gears is what I needed the hammer wrench for, and I did have to hammer on it too. LOL

DSC00416.JPG P1010103.JPG

Thanks KRV3K, I didn't realize the amount of elbow grease that it would involve.LOL

Uh... David, you aren't the first person to ask me that. She is one in a million and is also a mechanic. She was originally trained as an electrician but crossed trained as a mechanic. She has a Clausing lathe in her shop at work and has been using it more lately. She oversees a pump rebuilding facility where she works. She does work that I love to hear her talk about. I'll post one of the pumps she was working on.
Thanks for the kind words.

Patrick

Hi Patrick:
Lathe is looking good. Do you have anymore pictures of the line boring operation and info on setup.
Thanks
Joe

I used 3/4" O1 silversteel for the boring bar, but drilling the hole thru the bar at an angle was a real bear. This is the toolbit and the round part is what I silver soldered into the bar for the toolbit.
I couldn't remember what the cylinder part is called and tried to look it up in a tool catalog and couldn't find it there either. Makes me wonder how I found anything to fix it. I was going to use the oillite bushing but it was not large enough, so made my own out of bronze.

DSC00480.JPG

After I got the bar drilled and the thingy silvered in, I cut off the excess thingy with my Metabo. I also cut the toolbit off with the Metabo and ground it on the belt grinder to fit the boring bar.

The bar was mounted thru the gearbox and placed on the centers. I then setup the box on step clamps to get the height and clearance for the thruholes.

DSC00476.JPG DSC00490.JPG DSC00475.JPG

Back