Show Us Your Shop Made Tooling!

After many years of needing a V jaw for my four inch vise, I broke down and made one. Made from a piece of 4142HT. So far it is holding up well. Someday when I get a heat treat oven and a surface grinder I will make a hardened one.

Attachments

• IMG_6451.jpg
    IMG_6451.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 83
Out of curiosity, how do you guys cut graduations in the parts you make? Like the graduations above.

95mm boring head with an nt40 shank. Not the prettiest but tested and works well.
70 degree dovetails cut on the shaper of course.:)
View attachment 120356 View attachment 120357
Each graduation moves it 0.02mm.
The arbor is a cut down horizontal milling arbor that was the wrong type form my support threaded M30*1, so I can't use it in reverse rotation.
Ok, I messed up the first time, I forgot that the new reply goes to the top. This is the graduations I was referring to. I would like to redo the graduation lines on my Craftsman lathe cross slide handles.

One way is to take an HSS vee-shaped cutting tool and mount it on its side in your lathe tool holder. Then bring it up to just barely scribe the surface of the part (which would be mounted in the lathe). Then use either the carriage or compound to advance that vee-cutter along the work. Retract, advance the depth of cut a tad, repeat, etc until you get the depth you want. Depending on the type of lathe you have it can be a little tough going but with light cuts it’s usually possible. Just don’t overdo it by trying to take too much in one pass. Essentially you’re using the carriage on the lathe like a sideways shaper or key slotter.

Shaper is another way using the same type of cutter, but not everyone has a shaper to use. And then you can mill it with a small cutter or the corner of a cutter. Multiple ways to get there depending on what you have. For handwheel graduations the key would be a way to accurately index for the next graduation, but if the existing lines are still present and just need deepening you may be able to eyeball the alignment. I’d think carefully before doing it though, once done it cannot be reversed and a poorly graduated dial becomes kind of useless.

Couple of simple scribers, or What To Do With Scrap. Small scriber is a broken 3/16 end mill sharpened and set in an AL drop. The bigger scriber uses a couple pieces of leftover plate and a couple of dowel pins as guides.scribers_web.jpg

Re: Shop made tooling

They pale in comparison to yours and I've had some of these in other threads but here goes in order: hold down clamps made from thick walled pipe, 2 tool bit height gauges, threading stop and a handy run out indicator all to fit lampost tool holders, a group of brass hammers, a tool bit angle gauge for a Williams holder and last a tool post grinder.

View attachment 35346 View attachment 35347 View attachment 35348 View attachment 35349 View attachment 35350
I looks like a beefy motor. What power rating is it?

Back