Show Us Your Shop Made Tooling!

davidh

Active User
Registered
Since I've been watching this thread, I decided to post a few of my own creations:

QUOTE]

nice work, handy stuff too. I need to show off my captured nut too :) just had to. . . . captured nut 002.jpg

captured nut 002.jpg

brasssmanget

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I made one of those thread rods with smooth ends last year, and everyone that sees it is totally confused and in awe of how it was done. Quite a conversation piece at my house.....

itsme_Bernie

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Re: Shop made tooling

Here's a simple one for ya' I made a depth gauge for my shop press using a pointer and a 6" scale mounted with magnets. Just gives me some idea of where I'm at and helps when using my brake to make more than one part at the same angle.
Wow! What a great idea! Love it! I could put one on top of the arbor press, with an attachment sort of like the tailstock dial indicator adapters...

Bernie

Chucketn

Toxic Lunatic & Psychotic
Registered
I completed my drawbar wrench/hammer for my X2 mill today. I’m quite pleased with it. It’s not perfect, but I’m proud of it. It was made from a store bought deep socket, and brass and aluminum I inherited in Dad’s workbench. This project was based on and inspired by the Soft Faced Hammer Project on the Projects in Metal Forum.
DSCF1446.JPG
DSCF1448.JPG DSCF1447.JPG

Chuck

DSCF1446.JPG DSCF1447.JPG DSCF1448.JPG

Charley Davidson

Active User
Registered
Chuck, that hammer is very nice & resourceful, but wondering if the socket will hold up. Is it cast or machined from a solid piece?

Chucketn

Registered
Charlie, I don't have a clue as to the construction of the socket. I bought it off the rack at Lowe's. Just a 17 mm deep socket, I think it was Kobalt brand. I don't think I'll wear it out!

Chuck

righto88

Active User
Registered
Chuck thank you for posting this. I got to put that on my "to do" list. I have been wanting to make one and never tought of using a deep well sockett.
That will make it easy. Yours looks very nice.:man:And like you think I am sure that sockett will last quite a while. And if it did give up the ghost in 5, 10, 15,,,, years, it would be easy to repair.

Chucketn

Registered
righto88,

If you don't need chrome on the socket, Im told the black impact sockets are easier to machine. I had a time trying to counterbore the socket for the handle.
I also tried to ad a washer of black plastic between the brass and aluminum in the handle for contrast, bit couldn't get a decent finish on it.

Chuck

Harvey Melvin Richards

Active User
Registered
Digital Depth Gauge

I made a base for a digital indicator and turned it into a very useful digital depth gauge. The collet that holds the indicator is available from McMaster Carr, MCS, and Starrett. By using different indicator tips, it can be used on very small diameter holes. The base is tool steel that has been ground flat, but not hardened.

PA042836Large_zps0173d7fa.jpg

PA042840Large_zps1a4926e8.jpg

BaseLarge_zpsdb21411a.jpg

PA042836Large_zps0173d7fa.jpg

PA042840Large_zps1a4926e8.jpg

BaseLarge_zpsdb21411a.jpg

melsdad

Active User
Registered
Looks good. How have you used it so far?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Harvey Melvin Richards

Active User
Registered
Looks good. How have you used it so far?

I assume you are asking about my depth gauge. Yes, I use it regularly. I have a digital Mitutoyo, 0 to 6" and a vernier Starrett 0 to 6", and I use my modified indicator the most, especially on holes from 0 to 1". It's quick and just as accurate as the other gauges.

Jim1942

Active User
Registered
I'm nowhere near the machinist that many of you guys are by any means of the word, but I have built a few pieces of machinery that have been a big help around the farm and my shop.

I saw a belt sander that takes a 3" X 120" belt and decided I would get a lot of use out of one. Well, actually I built 2 because I wanted 1 in my wood working shop and another down to my shed where I do some black smithing. I also wanted to build myself a power hammer.

I had an old set of 2 bottom plows sitting down in the woods and thought there was most of what I needed right there.

Attached are some pictures of the belt sanders and the power hammer. Also, is a picture of a hydraulic press that I built. I've had a lot of use out of it, especially when I needed to press a broach to cut an internal keyway. Not much precision, but good work horses on all 3 pieces.

Sorry, but I don't have very good lighting down to the shed. The power hammer and press don't show up good. Perhaps I'll do better later if there is any interest.

Jim

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

melsdad

Active User
Registered
I built a 2" x 72" belt grinder a few years ago. It is a KMG clone with a 2 hp 3ph motor run off a VFD. I still need to get everything powder coated and make a few more wheels, but she is running good!

pamuvyny.jpg
e8ega9u7.jpg
erequvyj.jpg

pamuvyny.jpg

e8ega9u7.jpg

erequvyj.jpg

melsdad

Active User
Registered
Here is a swiveling vise base that I made for apattot vise. I use this mainly for knife work, but it has been useful for other jobs over the years.
It swivels 360º and at an angle of 45º and locks down very snug with tightening any of the 3 s.h.c.s. in the base
gemepe8y.jpg
u5yraver.jpg

gemepe8y.jpg

u5yraver.jpg

jbolt

Active User
I thought the commercial rotary broach holders were priced way too high for what they are so I rolled my own. Body and tool holder from scrap 1018 crs, modified MT3/JT4 drill chuck arbor $8, ball and thrust bearings $30. I still need to make a straight arbor for using in the mill. Cutter in picture is 1/2" hex from Polygon. I plan on making my own as soon as I get my furnace built. So far I have used it to hex broach steel pinion gears.

IMG_0362.JPG IMG_0364.JPG IMG_0369.jpg

Jay

IMG_0362.JPG IMG_0364.JPG IMG_0369.jpg

Last edited:

xalky

Registered
Registered
That's very cool. I've never seen a rotary broach in action. Is it a vibratory fore/aft motion that cuts the broach?

jbolt

Active User
That's very cool. I've never seen a rotary broach in action. Is it a vibratory fore/aft motion that cuts the broach?
Here is a definition from Slater Tools. They have some videos too.

"Rotary broaching, also known as wobble broaching, is an exclusive, fast, amazing and accurate method of producing internal and external polygon forms on the end of a workpiece.
The Rotary Broach Tool Holder can be used on any CNC, Swiss, milling, screw or other turning machine. The Rotary Broach Tool Holder has an internal live spindle which holds an end cutting broach tool.
In a lathe, screw or other turning machine, the Rotary Broach Tool Holder is mounted stationary while its internal live spindle and rotary broach rotate with the workpiece. Driven by the workpiece, the rotary broach tool's corners are continually changing contact points on the workpiece, making a wobbling type action while it cuts each corner of the form. In a milling machine, the Tool Holder's body rotates with the machine spindle while its internal live spindle and the rotary broach tool remain stationary. This also creates a wobbling type action while the rotary broach tool's corners are continually changing contact points on the workpiece.
Form sizes can be broached up to 2 inches in aluminum, 1.5 inches in brass and 1 inch in steel. This is only a point of reference as many other materials and depths have been successfully rotary broached.
The recommended forming depth of rotary broaching is up to 1.5 times the distance across flats or the diameter of the inscribed circle profile to be broached. This again is only a point of reference. Depending on the application, deeper depths can be achieved."

xalky

Registered
Registered
OK, so it's very similar to a rotary hammer drill in action. What I want to know is how is he producing the wobble?

GK1918

Active User
Registered
Care to share how you did this one?

When you do, use locktite in there. Long ago we machined several even knurled the ends. Then left them at auto and hardware stores
on the counters.......used for advertising.........

McGuyvers shop

Registered
Registered
I've had a little brass hammer for many years that someone made long ago. It is definitely used and I always think about who made it and what they were thinking when they made it. It's a good feeling to know that something you make will last for generations, so with that being said, I decided to make my own version of an aluminum / brass inserted hammer that hopefully someone 40 years from now will appreciate. Very basic, but I enjoyed it very much.

alum hammer.JPG

melsdad

Active User
Registered
I thought the commercial rotary broach holders were priced way too high for what they are so I rolled my own. Body and tool holder from scrap 1018 crs, modified MT3/JT4 drill chuck arbor $8, ball and thrust bearings $30. I still need to make a straight arbor for using in the mill. Cutter in picture is 1/2" hex from Polygon. I plan on making my own as soon as I get my furnace built. So far I have used it to hex broach steel pinion gears.

View attachment 66105 View attachment 66106 View attachment 66107

Jay
Jbolt, That is a very clean and slick looking design! Can you elaborate on the tool with some sizes and maybe part numbers to the bearings?

How do you adjust the broaching tool to run concentric?

Thanks

rangerman

Active User
Registered
OK, so it's very similar to a rotary hammer drill in action. What I want to know is how is he producing the wobble?
It produces a wobble because the longitudinal axis of the cutting tool is off by a degree or so compared to the axis of rotation of the work being cut.
When the work rotates ( or vice versa with the cutting tool) the cutting tool is carried with it but since the tool center line is not square with the work a rocking motion is produced whereby the cutting edges of the tool move in and out in a reciprocating motion against the work.
It's just like the tool edges are chiseling the work in a rapid succession.

I hope I have explained it simple enough.

Last edited:

xalky

Registered
Registered
It produces a wobble because the longitudinal axis of the cutting tool is off by a degree or so compared to the axis of rotation of the work being cut.
When the work rotates ( or vice versa with the cutting tool) the cutting tool is carried with it but since the tool center line is not square with the work a rocking motion is produced whereby the cutting edges of the tool move in and out in a reciprocating motion against the work.
It's just like the tool edges are chiseling the work in a rapid succession.

I hope I have explained it simple enough.
I know that now. I was so fascinated by it that I'm actually building one now. You can read about it here: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/19945-Shop-made-Rotary-broach-holder-and-broaches

Marcel

ARM

Active User
Registered
I've had a little brass hammer for many years that someone made long ago. It is definitely used and I always think about who made it and what they were thinking when they made it. It's a good feeling to know that something you make will last for generations, so with that being said, I decided to make my own version of an aluminum / brass inserted hammer that hopefully someone 40 years from now will appreciate. Very basic, but I enjoyed it very much.
Hi McGuyver
Nice work
Not bad at all
Good show.
aRM

hman

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
I completed my drawbar wrench/hammer for my X2 mill today. I’m quite pleased with it. It’s not perfect, but I’m proud of it. It was made from a store bought deep socket, and brass and aluminum I inherited in Dad’s workbench. This project was based on and inspired by the Soft Faced Hammer Project on the Projects in Metal Forum.

Chuck
That's definitely a beautiful piece of work, and your pride is justified. I've had my X2 for a number of years, and one of the first things I did was to dig through my "slush pile" of old wrenches to find one that fit the drawbar. I shortened it to about 6 1/2", just right to tighten the R8 collets sufficiently without going "farmer tight."

Very soon thereafter, I decided I needed to add some kind of soft-face hammer, to help release the collets. Being crude and lazy, I just found a random chunk of aluminum and milled it to fit (about 9/16 by 1 1/2 by 3/4"), sanded the curve to fit the wrench, and added a slot to accept a small hose clamp. It's been extremely handy, especially since I don't have to turn it to alternate between wrench mode to hammer mode.

HPIM2894K.jpg HPIM2893K.jpg

HPIM2894K.jpg HPIM2893K.jpg

Last edited:

burtonbr

Active User
I haven't made many tools or fixtures, myself. One of the reasons for joining this forum to learn more about machining and how to set up and make some of the tools and things I need. I've gotten many good ideas from many of you members here and my project list is probably longer already than I'll ever be able to complete with what I have. Thanks for that to everyone.
I was able to make a barrel vise for Thompson barrels and was very happy when it actually worked to remove 2 very stuck barrels from receiver nose sections without galling them, that I could not get out trying many other methods. its not too complicated but for one of my first machining projects I was pleased when it was successful.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

randyjaco

Active User
I am not sure who I stole this from, but I really liked the idea. My big Clausing has a lot of torque and I have needed a quick vise for some of my drilling. So here is the evidence of my crime. :))

Randy

Quickvise 1.jpg Quickvise 2.jpg

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock