Show Us Your Shop Made Tooling!

BRIAN

Slick tool you have built, I could have used a tool like that just the other day. Thanks for sharing it.

Re: Shop made tooling

Its amazing the talent that is here! This is a huge place for gaining knowledge! Glad I joined this site.
Everyone pat yourself on your back you deserve it!
dwdw47

How well does the Roto-Zip work for the mini grinder? Have you tied to hold a precision size like about 0.001? I have a huge Dumore and its about 40# with out the quill assembly on it! That would be Great having a small one like that. I tried a Makita die grinder but it was crap the mounting for its arbor was plastic just a small amount of load and I could grind cams for anything.

Truthfully, I made it and used it once (sharpened a cutter) to make sure it worked. I covered the ways and still got dust underneath. I haven't tried it again since. :-( I'm going to have to modify it now as I bought a Phase 2 QCTP and dont have a way to mount it.

bedwards

Re: A Fileing Rest

An often overlooked tool for the lathe.

View attachment 45826

Great tool Brian, it took me a while to work out just what it was for as the word 'file' didn't register...:biggrin:

Will be making one of those asp, by using the indexing pin on an Atlas, making squares and hexes on a part to fit a spanner will be so easy, thanks for sharing it..

:thumbzup: Bernard

Thanks lads Its a real good tool to have, it makes the job so easy. it will not alow you to go to far, or not get the job flat.
Just remember that the guide washers and the rollers must be free to rotate.

Regards Brian.:))

Nothing too fancy, just a tool holder for my lathe.

DSC_3705.jpg

DSC_3699-1.jpg

DSC_3697.jpg

Not really a tool but a neat idea I found online for using ur phone in the shop without getting it dirty.

CoverPhone_zps6fce0ccf.jpg

DSC_3705.jpg

DSC_3699-1.jpg

DSC_3697.jpg

CoverPhone_zps6fce0ccf.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your latest project Duffman
Have you had a chance to try it out on the machine yet? The other tip with the phone is a good idea too. It would help keep the phone in better condition over the long haul. :thumbzup:

Early contributors to this thread: What happened to the pix??????

This great thread was started on 3-27-12 and already some of the pix have disappeared...?

Any chance that those authors could re-post their pix?

"Inquiring minds want to see"

Re: Early contributors to this thread: What happened to the pix??????

This great thread was started on 3-27-12 and already some of the pix have disappeared...?

Any chance that those authors could re-post their pix?

"Inquiring minds want to see"

Harry, It is mostly my pics that are gone. It seems Photo Bucket had a problem, and all my pics from there are gone. I have them on my computer, But just don't know if its worth all the trouble to edit all those posts. It might be easyer to add new posts with the pics in place. I would have to ask Nelson and Tony about the pic re placements. Its just a good thing I saved my pics, and didn't rely on Photo Bucket as my only source.

Tailstock diestock

Well, this isn't up to you guy's fancy work nor is it an original idea, but it's handy. Sometimes finish off a thread with a die (lazy that way) and I made these diestocks. They ride on a guide shaft for accuracy until the threads are well started, at which time I can switch to an ordinary diestock. Made one for 2 inch dies and one for 1 1/2 inch dies.

diestocks.jpg

Back