Show Us Your Shop Made Tooling!

Since I've been watching this thread, I decided to post a few of my own creations:

QUOTE]

nice work, handy stuff too. I need to show off my captured nut too :) just had to. . . . captured nut 002.jpg

captured nut 002.jpg

I made one of those thread rods with smooth ends last year, and everyone that sees it is totally confused and in awe of how it was done. Quite a conversation piece at my house.....

Re: Shop made tooling

Here's a simple one for ya' I made a depth gauge for my shop press using a pointer and a 6" scale mounted with magnets. Just gives me some idea of where I'm at and helps when using my brake to make more than one part at the same angle.

Wow! What a great idea! Love it! I could put one on top of the arbor press, with an attachment sort of like the tailstock dial indicator adapters...

Bernie

I completed my drawbar wrench/hammer for my X2 mill today. I’m quite pleased with it. It’s not perfect, but I’m proud of it. It was made from a store bought deep socket, and brass and aluminum I inherited in Dad’s workbench. This project was based on and inspired by the Soft Faced Hammer Project on the Projects in Metal Forum.
DSCF1446.JPG
DSCF1448.JPGDSCF1447.JPG

Chuck

DSCF1446.JPG DSCF1447.JPG DSCF1448.JPG

Chuck, that hammer is very nice & resourceful, but wondering if the socket will hold up. Is it cast or machined from a solid piece?

Charlie, I don't have a clue as to the construction of the socket. I bought it off the rack at Lowe's. Just a 17 mm deep socket, I think it was Kobalt brand. I don't think I'll wear it out!

Chuck

Chuck thank you for posting this. I got to put that on my "to do" list. I have been wanting to make one and never tought of using a deep well sockett.
That will make it easy. Yours looks very nice.:man:And like you think I am sure that sockett will last quite a while. And if it did give up the ghost in 5, 10, 15,,,, years, it would be easy to repair.

righto88,

If you don't need chrome on the socket, Im told the black impact sockets are easier to machine. I had a time trying to counterbore the socket for the handle.
I also tried to ad a washer of black plastic between the brass and aluminum in the handle for contrast, bit couldn't get a decent finish on it.

Chuck

Back