Show Us Your Shop Made Tooling!

I made a lapping table for lathe tool bit after the are "sharpened" on a grinding wheel. The tool that I lapped will shave cuts off 4140 shaft shown finer than a hair.Made wheel from cheap disc brake. Started with a scrapped machinist magnet and built most of the apparatus to hold the bits from odd and ends.Need to get a better camera than a phone.

0306151727.jpg 0307151222.jpg

Nah, you just need a better phone, the pictures I show above were from my Samsung Galaxy S4/S5. The quality is less for a Web page than on the phone itself where the picture file is 4mb, compared to these are a couple hundred kb
Good use of the rotor

8 , is your print/type extra small for any particular reason?. Starting August 2 2012

Last edited:
Made a new dial indicator holder for my mill. I started with a small Noga holder and the clamp part of my indicol setup.

I started the adapter with a 30-degree taper which will reside in the Indicol spindle mount.
15pk8s3.jpg

I then tapped 6mmx1.0 threads into the adapter and threaded a rod to be used with a knurled thumbnut.
35iq7w3.jpg

Threading the stud.
wlvrja.jpg

Stud threaded.
5yue4n.jpg

Adapter, stud, small taper and knurled thumbnut shown.
9pp8x5.jpg

I then moved over to the milling machine and installed the adapter into a collet block to machine the flat on the adapter and to drill/tap the 5mmx.8 hole.
kcj9zn.jpg

Adapter completed and installed into the Indicol spindle mount bracket.
2lcsjn9.jpg

NOGA NF61003 removed from the magnetic base and threaded onto the adapter and Indicol mount.
am8a60.jpg

Installed on spindle and tested.
6eoi2p.jpg

Works perfect and is rock solid. Much more rigid than the Indicol mount/arm ever was. This allows me to indicate on a part or in a hole without having to remove the tooling from the spindle. NOGA does manufacture a smaller arm like this one that has a 3/8" stem but you have to remove whatever tooling you are using and install either a 3/8" collet or drill chuck to accept the stem. This way there is no need to remove whatever tooling you have installed in the spindle.

Mike.

I needed some new screw jacks for my milling machine and didn't care for my cheapy import ones that I have been using. I decided to made some that had interchangable bases.

Completed.
2qbchfs.jpg

Broken down by components.
bjhh7d.jpg

2hn8hox.jpg

I made a couple of different height bases for a range of adjustability.
15mh7dk.jpg

Nothing really hi-tech but they work and were fun to make. I am going to make a couple of different size bases when I get some more time. Probably one shorter and one a bit longer than what I have now. I would also like to get a piece of UHMW or hard wood to make a storage tray for them and have a place on my shelf next to the mill.

Mike.

95mm boring head with an nt40 shank. Not the prettiest but tested and works well.
70 degree dovetails cut on the shaper of course.:)
DSC_0056.JPG DSC_0058.JPG
Each graduation moves it 0.02mm.
The arbor is a cut down horizontal milling arbor that was the wrong type form my support threaded M30*1, so I can't use it in reverse rotation.

Back