Show Us Your Shop Made Tooling!

Just ran through this, some very nice stuff being cranked out. Really liked the cyl head fixture. Mike

Proof of the pudding, since we all like things that moves and makes noise.
The workpiece is a forming die for the hydraulic press that I needed when making the tumblers for the quick change gear box and since it worked so well forming 20*20 to a 100mm radius. I figuered I'll use the boring head to add 80 and 60mm radii for future needs. It was a lot more work milling and filing out the first 100mm radius before I made the boring head.

0,020" doc, 81rpm and 27mm/min roughing feed.

A special T-nut. Not my idea but I've made a few of these and found them very useful whenever I find that I've blocked the t-slots and need to add a clamp to the setup. Goes in from the top and will only turn a quarter turn. DSC_0063.JPG

Boring bars with dedicated holders. I've no shortage of 6mm broken taps and dull endmills and found these makes excellent cutting tips for boring bars.
The bars are quick and easy to make with relatively few operations and not very critical setups.DSC_0064.JPG
Holds the bit very firmly yet allows the cutting tip to protrude in front of the bar for internal facing of blind holes.
My go to boring bars for pretty much all my boring.

A small project I did together with my 10yr old daughter. She's been nagging me for some time to be allowed to help me in the shop so we did this together from sketch to the finished and tested tools.
Two spring loaded tap guides, one with a 60* point and a smaller with a cup tip for the smallest taps made from drill rod and seamless tubing. I haven't been able to find any for sale around here, but they seem to be quite popular in america as the metal working youtubers use them all the time. I do too now.
DSC_0070.JPG

Funds are low now with the house needing an addition so I stick to small useful stuff I need and already have materials for.
An indicator angle attachment of the type that seem so common in other parts of the world but I have never seen locally.
Some finicky turning, a bit of hand filing and other small scale operations but in the end a really simple little thing.
It seems everytime I've indicated a hole in a part in the four jaw I've had to set the indicator at an angle and without fail had it knocked away by a jaw or som other protrusion, but no more!
DSC_0076.JPG DSC_0077.JPG

Re: Shop made tooling

I needed a way to cut a key-way in a pulley that I had made for my mill.
I dug through my scrap pile and this what I ended up with.
I machined the body out and bored the hole slightly undersized.
Once I got it mounted on the compound I centred it as best I could then
I mounted a boring bar in the chuck and and finished the bore to size as best I could, then
made up the bushings and pressed them in.The rest was pretty straight forward.

Terry

View attachment 35479 View attachment 35480 View attachment 35481 View attachment 35482
Very nice, Great way to broach ------------

An R-8 flycutter I made to use 1/4" lathe toolbits I have laying around. They are China carbides but when ground seam to cut well. Next to it is a piece of CR steel after a .050 cut. This is a case of making a tool to make a tool as the ultimate goal here is to make a tangential tool holder for the AXA QCTP on my lathe. Budget for tooling is extremely limited right now so I'm having to make do with what I have.

View attachment 218428

Last edited:
Back