Show Us Your Shop Made Tooling!

Re: Shop made tooling

I needed a way to cut a key-way in a pulley that I had made for my mill.
I dug through my scrap pile and this what I ended up with.
I machined the body out and bored the hole slightly undersized.
Once I got it mounted on the compound I centred it as best I could then
I mounted a boring bar in the chuck and and finished the bore to size as best I could, then
made up the bushings and pressed them in.The rest was pretty straight forward.

Terry

slotter4.jpg slotter3.jpg slotter2.jpg slotter1.jpg

Last edited:

I mounted a boring bar in the chuck and and finished the bore to size as best I could, then

Terry

"As best you could" looks dang good to me. Very nice.

-Ron

Ron nice design, as was asked before have you drawn up the holder.
Here is my design after looking at your tool, but I'm worried about how much metal is in front of the leading tool edge if you get my drift.............
What did you allow,
finishedtoolholder01.jpg

Lockstocknbarrel

Im not sure if you question was directed at me, or Ron

The top pic you show is the one I built last yr. I didnt do any drawing of it. The design is accually Farfar( Niels) He had a pic posted some where on the internet, and I just made my own copy to fit 1/2 tooling and fit my lathe.

Now the 2 drawings you show, look like they would be very nice , and fit a QCTP as well. I also had thought the material at the front might be a issue. If you look at the pics I posted, you can see that I later had trimed the fat off the tool holder. I didnt know at the time if the tool was going to work or not. Most all of these TTH have the cutting tool also laid over to the left, and this design does not. As it went, the tool worked well, and I thought about making it fit the QCTP, but I dont thing I will. With only one bolt to remove and install on the T-nut, I figured it is a ridgid mount as is.

The pics you have shown would be a nice tool holder, and if you seen a need to trim off the extra material off the front, it certainly would be a easy task to do.

finishedtoolholder01.jpg

Here's a couple of tools I've made.
The first is a couple of dimple dies I made a while back, I've made a couple of bigger ones as well.
dimple1.jpg
dimple2.jpg

And here's a jig I made for my rotary table.
DSC_02671024x685.jpg
DSC_02691024x685.jpg

Hi David

The dimple dies I have several size as well. They do a fine job on sheet metal work. I spent most of my life in the racing industry, and used the same tools some times for decorative, and many times to add strength to other wise flimsey sheet aluminum panels. Also found them to be handy sinking panels when mounting 1/4 turn quick release fasteners.

You rotary table jig. It appears to be used for centreing, or offsetting your work.
Would you have anymore pics of this in setups? And possibly more details on its use. Im sure many of us would be interested.

dimple1.jpg

dimple2.jpg

DSC_02671024x685.jpg

DSC_02691024x685.jpg

Terry

Some of the best tools have started out as scrap bin pickins ;)
Nice job Id say. The tool looks like a well thought out design. I have thought of building one allmost every time I need to cut a keyway. I have been cranking the carriage back and forth, and it gets tire some, in a very short while.

In your design, do you have depth stops, or do use the end of travel as the depth stop? I allso have allways wondered about the handle placement on those . If you were to do it again, would you change the handle placement, or it good where it is?

Matt
Great looking job on the dividing head. You wouldnt happen to have any more pics, would you? Id be interested to see more on that item.
Nice Job (':thumbzup:')

Hi David

The dimple dies I have several size as well. They do a fine job on sheet metal work. I spent most of my life in the racing industry, and used the same tools some times for decorative, and many times to add strength to other wise flimsey sheet aluminum panels. Also found them to be handy sinking panels when mounting 1/4 turn quick release fasteners.

You rotary table jig. It appears to be used for centreing, or offsetting your work.
Would you have anymore pics of this in setups? And possibly more details on its use. Im sure many of us would be interested.

Paul the main idea with the jig was to allow me to machine a full 180° in one operation and hold the work secure. I put the markings on it to give me a starting point for centering the job.
I've only used it for one project, here's a couple of more pics. I'll take a pic of it mounted to the table without a job on it over the weekend.
DSC_02681024x685.jpg
DSC_02711024x685.jpg

DSC_02681024x685.jpg

DSC_02711024x685.jpg

Here are a few items I have made over the last few years to help with projects both machine shop and automotive.
The first is a floating die holder once featured in Home Shop Machinist. It also shows the thread dial I made for the lathe.

die holder.jpg

The next picture shows a set of tools I made for assembling a Studebaker six engine.
The 3 pieces on the left are for installing the camshaft timing gear, the slim tool in the centre for installing the wrist pin and connecting rod on the piston. I had no picture of the tool itself, just a photo in the service manual of it in a vice with pin, rod and piston mounted on it so I had to reverse engineer it from there. The set on the right are for installing the timing gear on the crankshaft. For the two timing gear installers we had drawings and specs for.

tool1.1.jpg tool1.2.jpg

The next picture shows a set of press tools for replacing the control arm bushings on a Studebaker front suspension. For these parts the manual had good photos.

pres.pnch.jpg

The next picture shows the dies I made for the bead roller to put the channels in the floor panels for the Studebaker I am working on.

rol.die.jpg

The next picture shows the arbor I made to hold the gear cutter in my little Homier mill/drill

cutter.arbor.JPG setup.JPG

I guess that will do for now. Basically it boils down to if I need something and don't have one I make it with my limited bit of mainly self taught machine shop practice.
Nick

die holder.jpg tool1.1.jpg tool1.2.jpg pres.pnch.jpg rol.die.jpg cutter.arbor.JPG setup.JPG

Back