Show Us Your Shop Made Tooling!

Re: Shop made tooling

Nicky
Nice collection for home made tooling.
I bet the bead roller came in really handy when restoring the floors on the Stude.
The floating die holder is interesting too. Do you have any more pics of that item?

Good to see the home tolling others make to get the job done. Nick, if you have more , please show us. ;)

Here is a picture of the floating die holder's main parts. The thin end is centre drilled for the tail stock centre.
I cut the "V" notch on the table saw. I cut all the outside angles etc. also on the table saw and the hole with my little Homier mill/drill.
It takes 1" adjustable dies, hence the three set screws. Comes in very handy when cutting short and small threads on a shaft/screw etc.
Nick

dieholder2.jpg

dieholder2.jpg

Nice Job on the Die Holder Nick
The approch to solving daily problems, and made to work with your own machine.

Good job
Im sure others will copy your idea,s

Speaking of shop made tooling
I have started on a new fly cutter this morning.
Its a 7 inch diameter disc, that will have a R-8 arbour mounted to it.
Its going to be a experimental deal. I want to try this out before I build a bigger one. The disc is aluminum 7 diaX 1 inch thick. Im still deciding on what typ of tooling to fit it up for, round shank boring bar tooling, cabide tipped, easy to mount. Or go with HSS tooling, and involes a fair bit more work to mount. Or maybe both styles!

Pics later today

Im hearing crickets chirping in here :thinking:
Come on guys, you must have some projects in the works, Post em up, lets have a peek :biggrin:

Even a work in progress is good:whistle:

Here's a slip roller I'm working on but having all kinds of issues. The gantry that holds the 2 bottom rollers twisted badly when welding & I thought I could make it work but no way needs to be redone. It will roll 11 gauge steel though. Gonna do some redesigning. You can see a major differance in hight of the top roller from the twist. It uses a floor jack for adjustment/pressure

DSC00435.JPG DSC00436.JPG DSC00437.JPG DSC00438.JPG

What a great thread!!!! Too many ideas in my head now. I gotta get that dozer running to clear out my shop some so I can get back to work. Actually I have been making some progress in the massive clean and re-organize, but not as much as I would like lately. Keep the great pics and ideas coming guys. It's amazing what a little ingenuity and patience will get. Thanks Insane!!!
Bob

My work is not on par with much of ya'lls. Generally I make things I need at the moment or I know I'll want for the next project. I'm bad about getting them done and planning to go back and make them prettier but never do.

IMGP2777.JPG
Spider to keep thin stock from whipping around and to help keep long items running true. Screws onto the exposed spindle bearing nut threads.
IMGP2778.JPG
Quill clamp I needed to drill several pieces the same depth so I made this, also handy to set stock same depth in the chuck.
finit.JPG
I needed a dovetail cutter and didn't feel like paying for a HSS so I made this one with an insert.
tapper.JPG
I need to tap smallish holes so I made this to keep from breaking taps while tapping with power. Simply hold the wheel to tap and let go so the tap spins with the work if it starts to go bad or you hit bottom.

Steve

IMGP2777.JPG IMGP2778.JPG finit.JPG tapper.JPG

This first one is a rigid tool post I built for the lathe at work. I got tired of the rocker style tool post. Every time you tried to take a heavy cut the tool
would be sucked in. ( I found out later that the post was cracked in 3 places). Also the holders that we had were angled to much for the indexable carbide
I wanted to use.
attachment.php?attachmentid=38058&d=1340718789&thumb=1.jpg

The tool sits on a piece of key stock and is adjustable for height by a set of jack screws in the bottom. This way I could set it to the centerline of the lathe. As well as change the rake of the tool
if I wanted. The t-nut in the compound is milled to be flush with the face of the rest, this allows me to get right up to the jaws without hitting the compound. And just for fun, I use a nut that was the same size as the tailstock wrench on top. the slot on the othe side hold a cutter with a smal radius for finish cutting I put it in oppisite of the other one and switch between them by rotating the whole tool post. With this setup I have no trouble taking .300 off the overall dia In a single pass.

attachment.php?attachmentid=38059&d=1340719705&thumb=1.jpg

Here Is the LeBlonde in action I am turning a 2" Hub off of a gear with aprox. a 12"dia. In this pic you can see the second cutter installed in the tool post. Its not a quick change, but it gets the job done.

IMAG0091.jpg
This is a tap drill/tap guide block. It will do 6-32 through 1/2 -13 all in a 2"dia by 1" thick piece of round stock. A handy little tool to be sure.

IMAG0107.jpg

This is a fly cutter I made. It is at a 30 degree angle and is 2.500 dia. Does a nice job.

IMAG0120.jpg

I got bored the other night at work and decided to make a "Man's Hammer" This little bugger is only 14" top to bottom but weighs 12 lbs. I call it my "fine Adjustment tool"

Ben

IMAG0091.jpg IMAG0107.jpg IMAG0120.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=38058&d=1340718789&thumb=1.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=38059&d=1340719705&thumb=1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Here's a slip roller I'm working on but having all kinds of issues. The gantry that holds the 2 bottom rollers twisted badly when welding & I thought I could make it work but no way needs to be redone. It will roll 11 gauge steel though. Gonna do some redesigning. You can see a major differance in hight of the top roller from the twist. It uses a floor jack for adjustment/pressure

Charley

Looks like a heavy duty roller your building. Just wondering if the rollers are solid steel, or tube? If solid, was thinking maybe straighten them out with V-blocks on a press. Possibly true them up with a skim cut on your lathe. Just thinkin out loud.
Looks like you allready have a fair bit of work on it.

Back