Show Us Your Shop Made Tooling!

Re: Shop made tooling

Bottom Rolls are from a conveyor system and are kinda light weight, top roller is some heavy wall tubing. The gantry is what got twisted when welding. I'm gonna rework it later but have other things to do higher on the priority list.

I think it will work great on 14 gauge even heavier aluminum

Had a video all uploaded on Face Book but evidently hit the wrong button at the end and lost it:banghead::headache:

This first one is a rigid tool post I built for the lathe at work. I got tired of the rocker style tool post. Every time you tried to take a heavy cut the tool
would be sucked in. ( I found out later that the post was cracked in 3 places). Also the holders that we had were angled to much for the indexable carbide
I wanted to use.
attachment.php?attachmentid=38058&d=1340718789&thumb=1.jpg

The tool sits on a piece of key stock and is adjustable for height by a set of jack screws in the bottom. This way I could set it to the centerline of the lathe. As well as change the rake of the tool
if I wanted. The t-nut in the compound is milled to be flush with the face of the rest, this allows me to get right up to the jaws without hitting the compound. And just for fun, I use a nut that was the same size as the tailstock wrench on top. the slot on the othe side hold a cutter with a smal radius for finish cutting I put it in oppisite of the other one and switch between them by rotating the whole tool post. With this setup I have no trouble taking .300 off the overall dia In a single pass.

attachment.php?attachmentid=38059&d=1340719705&thumb=1.jpg

Here Is the LeBlonde in action I am turning a 2" Hub off of a gear with aprox. a 12"dia. In this pic you can see the second cutter installed in the tool post. Its not a quick change, but it gets the job done.

View attachment 38060
This is a tap drill/tap guide block. It will do 6-32 through 1/2 -13 all in a 2"dia by 1" thick piece of round stock. A handy little tool to be sure.

View attachment 38061

This is a fly cutter I made. It is at a 30 degree angle and is 2.500 dia. Does a nice job.

View attachment 38062

I got bored the other night at work and decided to make a "Man's Hammer" This little bugger is only 14" top to bottom but weighs 12 lbs. I call it my "fine Adjustment tool"

Ben

Nice Job on the tooling Ben

I like your tool post design, looks like a very good one. If you have more pics of your tool post build, or more detailed shots, I for one would love to see them. The Tap/drill guide is allways a handy addition to anyones tooling as well. Ive allways meant to make one, but allways seem to have other things on the go.

The flycutter looks really nice, so nice, it allmost looks to nice to use,lol. Great job on that too. Now the man size hammer @ 12 lbs , I love it. When you need a BFH, I bet that sucker does the job.

Good work, if you have more pics of your builds, post em up.

attachment.php?attachmentid=38058&d=1340718789&thumb=1.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=38059&d=1340719705&thumb=1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

My work is not on par with much of ya'lls. Generally I make things I need at the moment or I know I'll want for the next project. I'm bad about getting them done and planning to go back and make them prettier but never do.

View attachment 37901
Spider to keep thin stock from whipping around and to help keep long items running true. Screws onto the exposed spindle bearing nut threads.
View attachment 37902
Quill clamp I needed to drill several pieces the same depth so I made this, also handy to set stock same depth in the chuck.
View attachment 37903
I needed a dovetail cutter and didn't feel like paying for a HSS so I made this one with an insert.
View attachment 37904
I need to tap smallish holes so I made this to keep from breaking taps while tapping with power. Simply hold the wheel to tap and let go so the tap spins with the work if it starts to go bad or you hit bottom.

Steve

Steve
Seems all of your tools you have in this post I couls use. The spider is somthing I must get around too, and soon! I like the tap holder too, thats a great idea, that I will shamelessly steal from ya.

Good job
You have added to my to-do list.

Here are 2 shots of the tool holder deconstructed. In the first pic you can se the jack screws. You only ever get 2 of them to touch at the sam time but But 4 in so both ends could be used. currently only the 1st and 3rd ( left to right) contact the key stock.
IMAG0147.jpg

IMAG0148.jpg

This is the t-nut and "spindle" for lack of a better word. you can see where it was milled of to be able to run flush with the edge of the compund.

IMAG0152.jpg

I made a bunch of these one night. It is just a simple stop that clamps to the jaw of the mill vice. very basic but super handy for repeatability.

IMAG0150.jpg

IMAG0149.jpg

This is a v-block that I patterened after one that my co-worker had done. I like that it has mutiple sizes all in the same block. I Lucked out in that the guy I work with has been machining for 30+ years
so i am always learning new thing from him.

IMAG0153.jpg

This one has been a huge time saver. I am an industrial mechanic and there are 12 other guys that use the equipment (some of them shouldn't be) and they are always knocking the head out on the mill.
I trammed it twice in the traditional manner ( with a dial indicator and a rig that mounted to the spindle) sweeping it back and forth over and over again. not a lot of fun. so I made this Tramming tool, it fits the bed of the 8" vise that is on the mill. Takes all the cursing and swearing out of tramming the head.

Thats all I've got for now

Ben

IMAG0147.jpg IMAG0148.jpg IMAG0152.jpg IMAG0150.jpg IMAG0149.jpg IMAG0153.jpg

here are a few I posted here in my albums:

a quick-rough-dialing-in attachment to the QCTP:

Some end-mill holders and blanks (planning to make a fly cutter with one of them):

Last edited by a moderator:

Ben
Thanks for the extra pics. The V block looks to be a very usefull piece,I just might have to copy that item too.

Sharon
Nice work on your tooling as well. Those end mill holders put the ones I made to shame, not near as nice as yours.:biggrin::drool:

Sharon, on your endmill holders, can they be used in a R8 collet or is that too much mass?

Here's a simple one for ya' I made a depth gauge for my shop press using a pointer and a 6" scale mounted with magnets. Just gives me some idea of where I'm at and helps when using my brake to make more than one part at the same angle.

2012 011.jpg 2012 010.jpg

Last edited:

Here's a simple one for ya' I made a depth gauge for my shop press using a pointer and a 6" scale mounted with magnets. Just gives me some idea of where I'm at and helps when using my brake to make more than one part at the same angle.

Nice Looking press you have.
That is a great idea with the scale with a pointer. That would definatly be handy when using a press brake. That press, is it a complete fabbed up job, or available some where? I seen many presses, but that one looks sweet.
Got anymore pics of that? And thanks for the scale and pointer tip :cool:

Nice Looking press you have.
That is a great idea with the scale with a pointer. That would definatly be handy when using a press brake. That press, is it a complete fabbed up job, or available some where? I seen many presses, but that one looks sweet.
Got anymore pics of that? And thanks for the scale and pointer tip :cool:

That press is impressive. I would love to see more pics of. I have to build one for the new shop and havent quite setteled on a design yet.

By the way Paul, Did you ever finish that big fly cutter mentioned earlier? If so a few pics would be great. It sounds like a monster.

Ben

Back