Show Us Your Shop Made Tooling!

Re: Shop made tooling

A few more things

QCTP side driller , with keyless chuck
QCTPSidedriller.jpg

So that should get the ball rolling.
Your turn ;)

8ntsane,
Could you give more detail on how you made the cross driller, please?

Chuck

QCTPSidedriller.jpg

Hi Chuck

The QCTP holder is originally for boring bars. I just removed the split sleeve. The keyless chuck was picked up for about 20 bucks, and if I remember it had a 3/8 fine thread. I just measured the holders bore and turned up a shaft to fit.

I cant remember if I single pointed the thread, or used a die. You could also just drill and tap the shaft the same size thread as the chuck has, and find a bolt with enough thread and cut the threaded portion off to use as a threaded stud. A drop of Loc Tite would hold the stud in place nicely.

I cut the flats on the mill with the rotary table. You can cut either 3 or 6 flats, will work fine either way.
I just use grease on the shaft for lube, and works fine. Fairly handy tool, as you can use for side drilling, and face drilling by sliding the shaft out, and inserting it on the other side of the block.

I guess you could do a better one by putting a bronze bushing ,Delrin, or a pair of bearings in the block.
But I can still insert the split sleeve, and use it for boring bars if need be. I dont use mine all that often now. I have a drill press mounted to the compound for drilling now. But you need a large lathe to do that mod.

The first page of this thread shows the drill prill mounted to the compound. Also the same page shows a boring head adapted to the same tool block for turning balls, and a tool post grinder mounted as well. Those QCTP boring bar holder can be used to mount many different tools.

Very nice Mrsonso! :thumbsup: I like it.

You dont' even want to know what went through my mind, but if you must have a clue, it is a name of a song.

Mr M, that is pretty sweet!

Doc

Mr M looking good, and has a large capacity as well. Just gotta like the home made tooling. It inspires other members to get there machines fired up, and make up usefull tooling they will use for yrs to come. :thumbzup:

I'm a bit surprised that it did as well as it looks like it did. I would have guessed that with it being that far extended, it wouldn't have been rigid enough to get that nice of result. Guess that goes to show just how good my "gut instincts" are.

Nice job!

-Ron

I'm a bit surprised that it did as well as it looks like it did. I would have guessed that with it being that far extended, it wouldn't have been rigid enough to get that nice of result. Guess that goes to show just how good my "gut instincts" are.

Nice job!

-Ron
I wondered about that too Ron.
Ive had times when I didn't have a choice, and had to hold workthat way. Being I hate surprizes, I would use my bull nose center and just push it up to the work so I could see it spinning. Or if that isn't available, then use your live center instead. Its cuts down on the pucker factor a lot. I just assumed he used one or the other.:whistle:

really nice work on the ball turner it does a great job really
do you know a good dentist? :lmao::lmao::lmao:
steve

Back