[4]

Show us your South Bend Lathe

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

rw1

Active User
here is my progress so far! taking a lil longer than what i wanted too, but had to slow down and build the bench and the drawer for it too.
I'm still waiting for the lead screw and i have to modify the apron to fit so i feel the headache coming soon.
a few posts before i showed the way i got it in case you all are curious.
I'm pretty happy with the way it is coming along! not bad for a jack of all trades master of none right..... LOL

View attachment 56424 View attachment 56425 View attachment 56426 View attachment 56427 View attachment 56428 View attachment 56429
sandama......

Nice work on the lathe and the Bench looks right at home! Custom fit is always nice. Good Job!

sandama171

Swarf
Registered Member
sandama......

Nice work on the lathe and the Bench looks right at home! Custom fit is always nice. Good Job!

Thank you Sir,
I'm still working on the inner guts but she is nice and tight.......
the bench.... yes it was made to fit the lathe and stock i like it the way it came out not bad for $20 right......
And may i say this is a 9" x 48" junior model C parts are rare and hard to come by for it........ that has been my biggest issue so far.

Anasazi

Swarf
Registered Member
Here is my 9" swing 3 1/2 foot bed overhead silent chain. just purchased.

9 x 42 overhead silent chain  1927.jpg

FDoom

FDoom
Registered Member
This is the South Bend Lathe I acquired. I cleaned up the major dirt and chips it was covered in. This is the basic machine I have to work with. Now, to see if I actually have what it takes to make it work, PROPERLY!

Doom!

Since it was acquired: I was able to get the motor checked and re-installed and the switch rewired. The wiring was the original and needed replaced.
Doom!

DSC01706.JPG DSC01707.JPG DSC01687.JPG DSC01688.JPG DSC01689.JPG DSC01690.JPG DSC01691.JPG DSC01692.JPG DSC01693.JPG DSC01694.JPG DSC01695.JPG DSC01696.JPG DSC01698.JPG DSC01699.JPG DSC01700.JPG DSC01701.JPG

Weldingrod1

Swarf
Registered Member
Well, after almost two decades of wanting to do it, I finally converted my D-Day South Bend to a D1-3 spindle this weekend. Of course now that I have a Hardinge, I'm selling the South Bend to a buddy of mine... at least he will get to enjoy it!

I hopped this old lathe up just about as far as is possible: VFD drive, two axis DRO and a DRO on the compound. I put pressure fed lubrication on the carriage and cross slide (one pulse of air= one shot of oil on every hole).

A REALLY nice upgrade if your lathe likes oil in the spindle pulley (which mine did): add a ball oiler so you can inject without having to take out that darn threaded plug! PA240026.JPG WP_002260.jpg WP_002280.jpg 2002_06_012.jpg 2002_06_013.jpg 2002_06_014.jpg WP_001981.jpg

PA240026.JPG WP_002260.jpg WP_002280.jpg WP_001981.jpg 2002_06_012.jpg 2002_06_013.jpg 2002_06_014.jpg

Chainsaw Driver

Active User
Many of you saw her and provided your invaluable feedback during the time I was purchasing her and getting her home. After having her setup for a while and getting to really know her I finally got a photo of her all set up. She's not real pretty but she's accurate to < .001" and strong enough to handle almost anything. I was very fortunate to purchase her with almost every available option at the time of manufacture. She's a 13" x 5' bed 1978 model with two speed electric motor. She also has the factory D1-3 Camlock spindle complete with quick change 5C collet closer. She also came with original screw type drawbar as well. She has the factory steady rest, follower rest, carriage stop, taper attachment, and 8" four jaw chuck. She was ordered with a factory 3 jaw but it was stolen many years ago, the owners replaced it with a quality 6" Bison. She also has two large dog plates as well as a couple of D1-3 camlock rings for attaching additional Chucks etc. She also came with a KDK 100 tool post and all the factory test and catalog data. I added a rotary phase converter and slowly amassed additional tool holders. I'm still learning to use her correctly but am amazed at how much I love having her. How did I ever get along without a lathe? Is it strange to love your lathe? :nuts:

IMG_1735.JPG

Todd

Active User
When you did the one shot oiler, did you use a bijur system or one of the imports? do you hvae to worry about running the lines equally from the metering unit to the oil ports to eliminate any points from getting less oil than others? i have been wanting to add a one shot system to my VN 12, just havent looked into the logistics of it all yet.

Thanks

Todd

Well, after almost two decades of wanting to do it, I finally converted my D-Day South Bend to a D1-3 spindle this weekend. Of course now that I have a Hardinge, I'm selling the South Bend to a buddy of mine... at least he will get to enjoy it!

I hopped this old lathe up just about as far as is possible: VFD drive, two axis DRO and a DRO on the compound. I put pressure fed lubrication on the carriage and cross slide (one pulse of air= one shot of oil on every hole).

A REALLY nice upgrade if your lathe likes oil in the spindle pulley (which mine did): add a ball oiler so you can inject without having to take out that darn threaded plug!

woodtickgreg

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
nielking, very cool looking old lathe, I still use that type of tool holder on my lathe as it gets the job done and it was a freebie. I also noticed in your pics what appears to be 2 stroke motorcycle exhaust? Do tell.

neilking

That's my buddy's last H1 set up as a cafe racer. It doesn't look like much but it runs pretty good.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

woodtickgreg

Active User
That's my buddy's last H1 set up as a cafe racer. It doesn't look like much but it runs pretty good.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
There's a member here, jeff in pa, he makes some really cool parts for those. You might want to look him up and check out his stuff, he's a good guy and we have traded some stuff before.

toolpost

Swarf
Registered Member
My southbend came from a navy shipyard then to a highschool shop then to my father and then to me. Its a little worn but still works good. When I use the power feed towards the headstock the carriage deflects away about ..003 would like to correct this but need to learn how.

001.JPG

woodtickgreg

Active User
toolpost, on the back side of the saddle on the bottom are 3 bolts, snugging them a little may take out some of that deflection. Do not tighten them to much as the saddle will bind, just enough to take up the play.

toolpost

Swarf
Registered Member
toolpost, on the back side of the saddle on the bottom are 3 bolts, snugging them a little may take out some of that deflection. Do not tighten them to much as the saddle will bind, just enough to take up the play.
Thanks for the tip woodticgreg I hadn't thought that the fix would be that simple. This makes sense as the problem didn't occur slowly. When I think back it started after I had been doing interupted cuts on square stock. THANKS AGAIN, BRIAN

Weldingrod1

Swarf
Registered Member
Todd,

I went a totally different route! I used one oil pump per oil port, so I am guaranteed to get oil on everything; these pumps will deliver up to 1000 psi on 100 psi shop air. There are two brands out there that are almost identical. You can Google Oil-Rite or "PurgeX for oil dispensing"

When you did the one shot oiler, did you use a bijur system or one of the imports? do you hvae to worry about running the lines equally from the metering unit to the oil ports to eliminate any points from getting less oil than others? i have been wanting to add a one shot system to my VN 12, just havent looked into the logistics of it all yet.

Thanks

Todd

thenrie

Active User
New participant here. Just brought home my first South Bend (2nd lathe). Bought the SB from a friend to use to make parts for the rebuild of a Delta Rockwell 11. I'll make a thread about the cleanup and refurb of the 9A, but I thought I'd post a shot of my lathe here and join the fun.
2013-12-07 15.17.50.jpg

2013-12-07 15.17.50.jpg

stevecmo

Active User
thenrie,

Looks like she needs a little TLC but should be a fine machine when you're done. And two lathes are always better than one!

Your Rockwell looks like it's missing a few parts. :roflmao:
(Just kidding......I'm watching your refurb thread.)

Thanks for sharing!

Steve

Last edited:

thenrie

Active User
Yeah. The SB may not look like much right now, but she's in much better condition than the DR was when I got it. I'm hoping to be putting the DR back together within a couple weeks - still waiting on a few parts - then I'll do a little refurb on the SB. Looking forward to that.

DianneB

Swarf
Registered Member
My 1941 10" Southbend started life with an aircraft company in Winnipeg. Despite being war time, it was probably well treated until it moved to the community college (year unknown) where it was heavily used (and abused) and where it finished its professional life turning armatures for starters and generators.

I had been on the lookout for a lathe for a long time and used to check the machine dealers regularly for trade-ins and about 1990 one of the dealers said they had one coming in shortly so I went back the day it arrived (in pieces on a pallet) and made them an offer for it "as is, where is". They loaded it in my truck and it came home with me.

It was well worn - still is LOL! - with about 0.001 drop near the headstock, worn and sloppy leadscrew nuts, and badly needs painting but overhauling the old girl seems to be something I never get around to. It works and that's what is important. In its time with me it has built a 1/2 scale traction engine (from scratch), a 1/2 scale threshing machine, a 1/3 scale civil war cannon, and uncounted custom one-off parts and repairs both for myself and for friends.

I don't know what I would do without my trusty Southbend but if I had the money I would probably trade her in for a smaller precision lathe because, as I get older, my models get smaller and smaller and it would be nice to be able to work to finer tolerances. But she's done well and she's still truckin' !

Southbend 487R.jpg

Southbend 487R.jpg

cuseguy

Active User
My latest SB, it's a 1979 CL-187ZB Heavy 10. It has the threaded spindle, but I have a 128 piece Hardinge 5C collet set, so I rarely use chucks anyway, and the price was right. It's a one owner machine, from a business that cut plastic with it since new. But that molten plastic had hardened in every last corner. The back gears were so mucked that they couldn't even turn! So the rebuild was more about removing the stubborn stuff and rewicking the entire machine. The machine came with a new Leeson 1hp/3ph that I hooked to a Automation Direct GS2 VFD. I chose the GS2 for it's sealed detachable keypad that I mounted in place of the old drum switch on the headstock bracket with a little fabrication. The vfd and fused cutoff sits in the box visible on the left side of the bench
I do alot of repetitive, close collet work that suited having a 4-position stop. I had always had the mic stops on previous machines and had never used the turret type. So I tried to find a user picture of a 10L with one attached. Not a single pic anywhere, other than the SB catalog closeup from the 50's. Apparently not many owners use these!
Anyway, Latheman (Ted) found me a nice one that I just completed painting. So for others that wonder how the 4-position carriage stop looks on a 10L...finally a picture of one.
uploadfromtaptalk1386952033899.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1386952069257.jpg

The finished product
uploadfromtaptalk1386952239472.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1386952417007.jpg

VFD mount
uploadfromtaptalk1386952294182.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1386952342269.jpg

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3

uploadfromtaptalk1386952033899.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1386952069257.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1386952239472.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1386952294182.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1386952342269.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1386952417007.jpg

Jimw

Active User
Then.

Just picked up yesterday. Neglected (about) 1965 South Bend 16. Came with 3 jaw chuck,rust, 220 volt 3 phase motor, rust, one tool holder, rust, broken gear cover, rust, missing compound rest dial and hand wheel and rust.

View attachment 45254
And now.

image.jpg

woodtickgreg

Active User
Jim, nice work on the 16" SB, but why are you selling it? I am in Michigan also and I saw it on Craigslist. Just curious.

rw1

Active User
Cuseguy,

Very nice lathe. I'm jealous of that Lever Collet Closer and all those Collets! My hand wheel Closer on my 65' 10L is good but not nearly as convenient.

Throw a pic of that Collet Rack of 128 Hardinge collets…..I'd like to see that one too!

Jimw

Active User
Jim, nice work on the 16" SB, but why are you selling it? I am in Michigan also and I saw it on Craigslist. Just curious.
I have 3 lathes, the 16 you saw on CL the #5 Barnes and another SB 16 with 8 foot bed and taper attachment. The 8 foot needs some work. I need to make some room and I don't need 3 lathes.

Capt.Mark

Swarf
Registered Member
10K 4-1/2' bed

I just purchased this lathe and really have no idea when it was made, although I suspect in was in the mid-fifties.

The serial number is 21940KBR – (could that be an OH versus a ZERO?). Opposite that is another number stamped on the bed B400NK.

Included with the lathe was some (original?) literature:

1. Catalog number 5600, gold colored, 50[SUP]th[/SUP] anniversary edition copyrighted 1955. This was contained in a manila envelope with a South Bend postmark for 6 ½ cents. Stapled within the catalog was an IBM punch card with a hand a written note which reads:
Model B10K
[TABLE="width: 284"]
[TR]
[TD]4 ½ ft, 667R
[/TD]
[TD]$ 497.00
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Tool Block 1413N
[/TD]
[TD]$ 13.50
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]3 Jaw 6506
[/TD]
[TD]$ 107.00
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Steady rest 2395K
[/TD]
[TD]$ 15.75
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Follow rest 2400K
[/TD]
[TD]$ 10.50
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]4 Jaw 4006K
[/TD]
[TD]$ 42.00
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]8” Face plate
[/TD]
[TD]$ 9.75
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Jacobs Chuck
[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Thread Gauge
[/TD]
[TD]$ 11.75
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
At the bottom of the note, written ink “Wrote 7/2/56”

1. How to run a lathe, 49[SUP]th[/SUP] edition, copyright 1949
  2. Accessory Bulletin titled “Profit Makers” “South Bend Lathe Accessories” copyright 1973. In handwriting on the front cover it reads “Sept. 1973”.On the inside back cover, titled notes, a handwritten note reads, “Bought Lathe at auction July 12, 2003 $1450.00”

Of note (at least to me) is that the hand scrape marks (frosting?) are still clearly visible and show no signs of wear. Aside from needing to be cleaned and lubricated, the machine appears to be in “as new” condition!
4-jaw, steay rest and follow rest.jpg Fron on shot 2.jpg Head stock and apron.jpg Left side cabinet open.jpg Left side cabinet.jpg Note on Inside Back Cover Accessory Catalog.jpg Oblique View from tail stock.jpg Punch Card.jpg Screw thread and power feed placard.jpg Fron on shot 1.jpg Flat belt drive.jpg End view looking toward head stock.jpg 8 inch faceplate.jpg 50th Annivesary Catalog and How to run a lathe.jpg 1973 Accessories Catalog (2).jpg 1973 Accessories Catalog.jpg Cabinet with original boxes.jpg Centers and Catalog.jpg Closeup steady rest and follow rest.jpg Dogs, calipers, wrenchs.jpg Tail Stock.jpg

Capt. Mark

4-jaw, steay rest and follow rest.jpg 8 inch faceplate.jpg 50th Annivesary Catalog and How to run a lathe.jpg 1973 Accessories Catalog (2).jpg 1973 Accessories Catalog.jpg Cabinet with original boxes.jpg Centers and Catalog.jpg Closeup steady rest and follow rest.jpg Dogs, calipers, wrenchs.jpg End view looking toward head stock.jpg Flat belt drive.jpg Fron on shot 1.jpg Fron on shot 2.jpg Head stock and apron.jpg Left side cabinet open.jpg Left side cabinet.jpg Note on Inside Back Cover Accessory Catalog.jpg Oblique View from tail stock.jpg Punch Card.jpg Screw thread and power feed placard.jpg Tail Stock.jpg

drs23

Active User
Re: 10K 4-1/2' bed

I just purchased this lathe and really have no idea when it was made, although I suspect in was in the mid-fifties.

The serial number is 21940KBR – (could that be an OH versus a ZERO?). Opposite that is another number stamped on the bed B400NK.

1. Catalog number 5600, gold colored, 50[SUP]th[/SUP] anniversary edition copyrighted 1955. This was contained in a manila envelope with a South Bend postmark for 6 ½ cents. Stapled within the catalog was an IBM punch card with a hand a written note which reads:
Model B10K
[TR]
[TD]4 ½ ft, 667R[/TD]
[TD]$ 497.00 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Tool Block 1413N[/TD]
[TD]$ 13.50 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]3 Jaw 6506[/TD]
[TD]$ 107.00 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Steady rest 2395K[/TD]
[TD]$ 15.75 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Follow rest 2400K[/TD]
[TD]$ 10.50 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]4 Jaw 4006K[/TD]
[TD]$ 42.00 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]8” Face plate[/TD]
[TD]$ 9.75 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Jacobs Chuck[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Thread Gauge[/TD]
[TD]$ 11.75 [/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

2. Accessory Bulletin titled “Profit Makers” “South Bend Lathe Accessories” copyright 1973. In handwriting on the front cover it reads “Sept. 1973”.On the inside back cover, titled notes, a handwritten note reads, “Bought Lathe at auction July 12, 2003 $1450.00”

Of note (at least to me) is that the hand scrape marks (frosting?) are still clearly visible and show no signs of wear. Aside from needing to be cleaned and lubricated, the machine appears to be in “as new” condition!

Capt. Mark
Bandit score!

If I wouldn't be prying too much, what'd ya pay for it Cappy?

jbltwin1

Active User
Here's mine. Dad's lathe that I moved to my house after he died Took almost ten years before I could STAND to move it though!). Have never cleaned on it yet because I am lazy and have actually been using it, as you can tell. Here I was doing something so mundane as making a small piece to make guitar markers out of plastic lids. Basically, just a hollow tube with a sharpened end and a slot cut in the back end to poke the plugs out. Nothing as fancy as you guys do but hey, I needed markers!

P1040065-2.jpg

ARM

Active User

CAPTAIN MARK
Oh Captain, my Captain.............
U have indeed really found some "treasure" here, U lucky Man.
Wow Oh Wow !!!
What a beaut.
This is a gem only comes up once in a lifetime for those fortunate few
We could only drool over the condition and care of this
And those Accessories, in such pristine condition.
They are even in the original packaging
Sir, U have been truly blessed and we wish U all the best with Your new found gem.
aRM

Model B10K
[TR]
[TD]4 ½ ft, 667R[/TD]
[TD]$ 497.00 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Tool Block 1413N[/TD]
[TD]$ 13.50 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]3 Jaw 6506[/TD]
[TD]$ 107.00 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Steady rest 2395K[/TD]
[TD]$ 15.75 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Follow rest 2400K[/TD]
[TD]$ 10.50 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]4 Jaw 4006K[/TD]
[TD]$ 42.00 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]8” Face plate[/TD]
[TD]$ 9.75 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Jacobs Chuck[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Thread Gauge[/TD]
[TD]$ 11.75 [/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Capt. Mark

Capt.Mark

Swarf
Registered Member

Bandit score!

If I wouldn't be prying too much, what'd ya pay for it Cappy?
Not prying at all. I paid $1700.00. I found it on Craig's List about 90 or so miles away from my home. It sat there for 28 days.

CAPTAIN MARK
Oh Captain, my Captain.............
U have indeed really found some "treasure" here, U lucky Man.
Wow Oh Wow !!!
What a beaut.
This is a gem only comes up once in a lifetime for those fortunate few
We could only drool over the condition and care of this
And those Accessories, in such pristine condition.
They are even in the original packaging
Sir, U have been truly blessed and we wish U all the best with Your new found gem.
aRM
Yeah, I almost feel unworthy! Thanks!

[6]
[5] [7]