Show us your South Bend Lathe

You folks have some fantastic looking machines, and work areas as well!

Just for contrast, I thought I'd post a few pics of my SB9A to show what the uglier versions of these machines look like :D I'll even include a pic of my super-fancy home-made lever tailstock :))

DSCN6533 (Medium).JPG

DSCN6535 (Medium).JPG

DSCN6536 (Medium).JPG

Thanks,
Dave

DSCN6533 (Medium).JPG DSCN6535 (Medium).JPG DSCN6536 (Medium).JPG

I'm just getting into this and am very excited. I was going to get a mini-lathe or something of that nature just to learn the trade. I found this SB 9. It has 3 chucks, 3-jaw and 4-jaw, face plate, live centers, dead center, drill chuck, taper attachment, collets, three tool posts, everything, just everything. It is also in excellent shape. You can see the scrape marks all over the ways. I can't wait to clean it up and get started!

South Bend 4.jpg South Bend 3.jpg South Bend 5.jpg South. Bend.jpg South Bend 2.jpg

View attachment 44651View attachment 44652View attachment 44644View attachment 44645View attachment 44646View attachment 44647View attachment 44648View attachment 44649View attachment 44650

My 9" SB Model A

According to the serial number:
- 9" swing
- quick change gear
- friction feed apron
- regular spindle hole
- standard swing
- underneath motor drive (UMD)

Since these photos were taken I've added a quick-change tool post (Aloris clone) and have picked up some additional tooling.

This lathe looks exactly like mine but I don't have as much tooling as yours. My serial card says mine wa purchased in 1958 by General Electric. I purchased it in 2010 at the NAMES Model show in Michigan. Love it

What tool holder did you get for your 9A? I am looking at a Phase II for my 9A.

This lathe looks exactly like mine but I don't have as much tooling as yours. My serial card says mine wa purchased in 1958 by General Electric. I purchased it in 2010 at the NAMES Model show in Michigan. Love it

Here is some pics of my 9" South Bend. I picked it up from a moving sale last summer. It came with a bunch of tooling. The 3 jaw was bad so I had to replace it.

CIMG1616.JPG CIMG1618.JPG CIMG1619.JPG

Here is a 10K in very good shape. It needs a head stock cover. Let me know if anyone knows where to find one.

P1010757.JPG

P1010757.JPG

Back