Show us your South Bend Lathe

here is my progress so far! taking a lil longer than what i wanted too, but had to slow down and build the bench and the drawer for it too.
I'm still waiting for the lead screw and i have to modify the apron to fit so i feel the headache coming soon.
a few posts before i showed the way i got it in case you all are curious.
I'm pretty happy with the way it is coming along! not bad for a jack of all trades master of none right..... LOL

View attachment 56424View attachment 56425View attachment 56426View attachment 56427View attachment 56428View attachment 56429

sandama......

Nice work on the lathe and the Bench looks right at home! Custom fit is always nice. Good Job!

sandama......

Nice work on the lathe and the Bench looks right at home! Custom fit is always nice. Good Job!

Thank you Sir,
I'm still working on the inner guts but she is nice and tight.......
the bench.... yes it was made to fit the lathe and stock i like it the way it came out not bad for $20 right......
And may i say this is a 9" x 48" junior model C parts are rare and hard to come by for it........ that has been my biggest issue so far.

Here is my 9" swing 3 1/2 foot bed overhead silent chain. just purchased.

9 x 42 overhead silent chain  1927.jpg

This is the South Bend Lathe I acquired. I cleaned up the major dirt and chips it was covered in. This is the basic machine I have to work with. Now, to see if I actually have what it takes to make it work, PROPERLY!

Doom!

Since it was acquired: I was able to get the motor checked and re-installed and the switch rewired. The wiring was the original and needed replaced.
Doom!

DSC01706.JPG DSC01707.JPG DSC01687.JPG DSC01688.JPG DSC01689.JPG DSC01690.JPG DSC01691.JPG DSC01692.JPG DSC01693.JPG DSC01694.JPG DSC01695.JPG DSC01696.JPG DSC01698.JPG DSC01699.JPG DSC01700.JPG DSC01701.JPG

Well, after almost two decades of wanting to do it, I finally converted my D-Day South Bend to a D1-3 spindle this weekend. Of course now that I have a Hardinge, I'm selling the South Bend to a buddy of mine... at least he will get to enjoy it!

I hopped this old lathe up just about as far as is possible: VFD drive, two axis DRO and a DRO on the compound. I put pressure fed lubrication on the carriage and cross slide (one pulse of air= one shot of oil on every hole).

A REALLY nice upgrade if your lathe likes oil in the spindle pulley (which mine did): add a ball oiler so you can inject without having to take out that darn threaded plug!PA240026.JPGWP_002260.jpgWP_002280.jpg2002_06_012.jpg2002_06_013.jpg2002_06_014.jpgWP_001981.jpg

PA240026.JPG WP_002260.jpg WP_002280.jpg WP_001981.jpg 2002_06_012.jpg 2002_06_013.jpg 2002_06_014.jpg

Many of you saw her and provided your invaluable feedback during the time I was purchasing her and getting her home. After having her setup for a while and getting to really know her I finally got a photo of her all set up. She's not real pretty but she's accurate to < .001" and strong enough to handle almost anything. I was very fortunate to purchase her with almost every available option at the time of manufacture. She's a 13" x 5' bed 1978 model with two speed electric motor. She also has the factory D1-3 Camlock spindle complete with quick change 5C collet closer. She also came with original screw type drawbar as well. She has the factory steady rest, follower rest, carriage stop, taper attachment, and 8" four jaw chuck. She was ordered with a factory 3 jaw but it was stolen many years ago, the owners replaced it with a quality 6" Bison. She also has two large dog plates as well as a couple of D1-3 camlock rings for attaching additional Chucks etc. She also came with a KDK 100 tool post and all the factory test and catalog data. I added a rotary phase converter and slowly amassed additional tool holders. I'm still learning to use her correctly but am amazed at how much I love having her. How did I ever get along without a lathe? Is it strange to love your lathe? :nuts:

IMG_1735.JPG

When you did the one shot oiler, did you use a bijur system or one of the imports? do you hvae to worry about running the lines equally from the metering unit to the oil ports to eliminate any points from getting less oil than others? i have been wanting to add a one shot system to my VN 12, just havent looked into the logistics of it all yet.

Thanks

Todd

Well, after almost two decades of wanting to do it, I finally converted my D-Day South Bend to a D1-3 spindle this weekend. Of course now that I have a Hardinge, I'm selling the South Bend to a buddy of mine... at least he will get to enjoy it!

I hopped this old lathe up just about as far as is possible: VFD drive, two axis DRO and a DRO on the compound. I put pressure fed lubrication on the carriage and cross slide (one pulse of air= one shot of oil on every hole).

A REALLY nice upgrade if your lathe likes oil in the spindle pulley (which mine did): add a ball oiler so you can inject without having to take out that darn threaded plug!

nielking, very cool looking old lathe, I still use that type of tool holder on my lathe as it gets the job done and it was a freebie. I also noticed in your pics what appears to be 2 stroke motorcycle exhaust? Do tell.

Back