Show us your South Bend Lathe

That's my buddy's last H1 set up as a cafe racer. It doesn't look like much but it runs pretty good.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

That's my buddy's last H1 set up as a cafe racer. It doesn't look like much but it runs pretty good.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
There's a member here, jeff in pa, he makes some really cool parts for those. You might want to look him up and check out his stuff, he's a good guy and we have traded some stuff before.

My southbend came from a navy shipyard then to a highschool shop then to my father and then to me. Its a little worn but still works good. When I use the power feed towards the headstock the carriage deflects away about ..003 would like to correct this but need to learn how.

001.JPG

toolpost, on the back side of the saddle on the bottom are 3 bolts, snugging them a little may take out some of that deflection. Do not tighten them to much as the saddle will bind, just enough to take up the play.

toolpost, on the back side of the saddle on the bottom are 3 bolts, snugging them a little may take out some of that deflection. Do not tighten them to much as the saddle will bind, just enough to take up the play.
Thanks for the tip woodticgreg I hadn't thought that the fix would be that simple. This makes sense as the problem didn't occur slowly. When I think back it started after I had been doing interupted cuts on square stock. THANKS AGAIN, BRIAN

Todd,

I went a totally different route! I used one oil pump per oil port, so I am guaranteed to get oil on everything; these pumps will deliver up to 1000 psi on 100 psi shop air. There are two brands out there that are almost identical. You can Google Oil-Rite or "PurgeX for oil dispensing"

When you did the one shot oiler, did you use a bijur system or one of the imports? do you hvae to worry about running the lines equally from the metering unit to the oil ports to eliminate any points from getting less oil than others? i have been wanting to add a one shot system to my VN 12, just havent looked into the logistics of it all yet.

Thanks

Todd

New participant here. Just brought home my first South Bend (2nd lathe). Bought the SB from a friend to use to make parts for the rebuild of a Delta Rockwell 11. I'll make a thread about the cleanup and refurb of the 9A, but I thought I'd post a shot of my lathe here and join the fun.
2013-12-07 15.17.50.jpg

2013-12-07 15.17.50.jpg

thenrie,

Looks like she needs a little TLC but should be a fine machine when you're done. And two lathes are always better than one!

Your Rockwell looks like it's missing a few parts. :roflmao:
(Just kidding......I'm watching your refurb thread.)

Thanks for sharing!

Steve

Last edited:
Yeah. The SB may not look like much right now, but she's in much better condition than the DR was when I got it. I'm hoping to be putting the DR back together within a couple weeks - still waiting on a few parts - then I'll do a little refurb on the SB. Looking forward to that.

My 1941 10" Southbend started life with an aircraft company in Winnipeg. Despite being war time, it was probably well treated until it moved to the community college (year unknown) where it was heavily used (and abused) and where it finished its professional life turning armatures for starters and generators.

I had been on the lookout for a lathe for a long time and used to check the machine dealers regularly for trade-ins and about 1990 one of the dealers said they had one coming in shortly so I went back the day it arrived (in pieces on a pallet) and made them an offer for it "as is, where is". They loaded it in my truck and it came home with me.

It was well worn - still is LOL! - with about 0.001 drop near the headstock, worn and sloppy leadscrew nuts, and badly needs painting but overhauling the old girl seems to be something I never get around to. It works and that's what is important. In its time with me it has built a 1/2 scale traction engine (from scratch), a 1/2 scale threshing machine, a 1/3 scale civil war cannon, and uncounted custom one-off parts and repairs both for myself and for friends.

I don't know what I would do without my trusty Southbend but if I had the money I would probably trade her in for a smaller precision lathe because, as I get older, my models get smaller and smaller and it would be nice to be able to work to finer tolerances. But she's done well and she's still truckin' !

Southbend 487R.jpg

Southbend 487R.jpg

Back