Show us your South Bend Lathe

Thanks Scrap,
Exactly the information i was hoping for.
grizzly charges $25.00 for the ser # card ??? is that correct?
joe

I copied this info and hope it helps also!!!
Although South Bend have comprehensive records of their lathe production (and can quote an exact dispatch date for almost every machine ever made) it is possible, thanks to the efforts of Geoff Swayze, to calculate an approximate date of manufacture - to plus or minus one year or so - if you enter the serial number (stamped at the tailstock-end of the bed) raised to the power of 0.0059 then multiplied by 1812.
The procedure is as follows:
On a scientific calculator (the one with any version of Windows will suffice) enter the serial number, say 84243; then hit the X^Y key (X with a superscript Y); type in 0.0059 then hit the "=" key followed by the multiplication key (*) followed by 1812. You should obtain 1937.4 which is within one year of the real date of manufacture, 1938.
Until a change of policy in 1947 - and a production total of approximately 186,500 lathes - South Bend used a simple sequential numbering system, but after that Serials were broken down between different types of lathe with numbers assigned sequentially within a group. Adding the highest number seen in each category post-1947 to pre-1947, gives a total production of just a over 330,000; however, by the 1970s, South Bend's range was very limited and most of the lathes produced during the last 30 years of the 20th century were the eternally-popular model 10K - a direct descendent of the original 9-inch lathe of the 1030s.
On many South Bend lathes, especially those built before the early 1920s, while the serial number is stamped into the end of the bed at the tailstock end, numbers are also stamped into many other parts - sometimes, but not necessarily, the last three digits of the serial number. These would have been used to identify components taken off an initially assembled lathe for final finishing or painting. Such items might have been
Examples include the top of the leadscrew hanger bearing bracket, the changewheel bracket, the leadscrew, on the concealed surface of the rack where it abuts against the bed and on the inside of the apron, etc,

I bought this 1943 Heavy 10L with 4 1/2 foot bed in May - it was sorely mistreated, with the operators not knowing what an oil can was, or how to use one. Surprisingly tho, it was still in its very original state - never oiled it, and never repaired anything either... which was good, no cobbled up, butchered patches.
So I set out to do a complete tear down, replacing or repairing through out (which was a LOT of replacing) and new paint on reassembly. There are a lot of SB parts floating around, but they can be exasperating to find for your particular lathe, and, can be quite pricey when finally found. So, I made anything that was at all practical/possible in my home shop - 7 gears, about 9 shafts, installing oilite bushings in worn castings, rebuild tail stock and apron, etc. Purchased new lead screw and cross/compound screws and nuts, etc, etc, somewhere around $2500 worth of parts, etc, not counting the hundreds of hours of labor put in it. But, I must stress that my labor on this, and other tools, is my hobby (passion?) and I wouldnt have it any other way...

This was taken shortly after it was unloaded, not only a lot of dirt/crud, but a lot of rust - the tail stock & chuck were removed for hauling...
SouthBendheavy10L001-1.jpg

This is it when I finished it in mid Sept. I added a lot of personal stuff - VFD, the chip tray, the back splash & shelf, QCTP and tool caddy (just behind the chuck) also, note just under the gear box the little tray I fashioned to catch the constant oil drips that an old SB puts out (that is, if you oil it!)

10Lfinished04.jpg

Saw in one of the previous post the shipping card from SB showing all the info on date shipped, who to, bed length, etc. I sent to Grizz and got mine too...

Image0001.jpg

Heres a pic of the head stock gear train and gear box giving an idea of some of the work that can go in just this section of the lathe...

Gearshaftsreplacesnag-it.jpg

And, sprinkled all through the tear down, you will run into stuff like this tail stock clamp plate in this pitiful state of "repair" and the replacement I made...

Tailstockclamp001.jpg

10Lfinished04.jpg

Image0001.jpg

Tailstockclamp001.jpg

10Lfinished04.jpg

Image0001.jpg

Tailstockclamp001.jpg

Coop,

You have my dream machine (except I want one to restore myself )....1942 model A on April 1st your machine and I will be " 70 " . Sure wish I looked as good as your SB
Joebiplane

Made a great article for the Home Page!

:tiphat:
Nelson

Coop,

You have my dream machine (except I want one to restore myself )....1942 model A on April 1st your machine and I will be " 70 " . Sure wish I looked as good as your SB
Joebiplane
great job on the restoration, patience always pays off.

Here she is! My model B after 20+ years of neglect (by me). I bought this back in the late 80's to do a side job so that it could pay for it's self. I used it for a few weeks then parked it in my sister's garage where it has been ever since. Tonight I went over and moved a bunch of "stuff" that was in front of it and pulled the cover off of it. To my suprise it wasen't a total rust bucket. From what I could find out it's a 1946 model. Serial number 178706, The numbers across on the other side of the bed are B101, Their is very poor lighting in her garage but when I looked at the change gear cover it had what looks like catalog number 477Z and bed length 3 1/2 ft. Their was even the original can of SouthBend spindle oil sitting on the bench. Right after I bought it I remember that I contacted SouthBend and ordered a parts manual and a few other things for it. I will have to look around for that stuff but I have a feeling it is in one of the many boxes I left at my old house. I sure am glad my oldest son still lives there.

030.JPG031.JPG

030.JPG 031.JPG

Back