Show us your South Bend Lathe

I think you'll find that the spindle runs directly in the cast iron head stock (no bronze bushings) unless someone fitted them in the past. Looks like the lathe hasn't been too abused, your iron bearings will likely be OK and best left alone if possible.

Would require line boring to do fit bushings; tough task, although it has been done.

John
The bronze bushings are for my countershaft on the van Norman mill. One of them is worn past 0.025" causing the second bearing behind it on the shaft to over heat.

I couldn't justify buying a project lathe when I needed a good lathe to complete the van Norman project.

A little history from previous owner-lathe was bought by an ametuer machinist (supposedly new) and willed the lathe to his best friend's son. The son barely used it and left it alone for the past 13 years. Then sold it to the owner I bought it from who used it for BB gun smithing. He sold the machine to me because he found another 9a that he liked more.

IMG_20160601_231118_zpskhevlxuf.jpg

IMG_20160601_230742_zpsjpqwlvpv.jpg

1943 10L. Has the war production badge and very limited use of brass. The collet holder is the original wood. Came with a bunch of tool holders, and a couple phase II QCTP's that I'm going to end up selling to get an Aloris AXA. 3 phase motor will get a VFD upgrade. I'm going to run it as it but clean out and install new software. It will eventually get new paint. Probably the original OD green.

IMG_20160601_231118_zpskhevlxuf.jpg

IMG_20160601_230742_zpsjpqwlvpv.jpg

1943 10L. Has the war production badge and very limited use of brass. The collet holder is the original wood. Came with a bunch of tool holders, and a couple phase II QCTP's that I'm going to end up selling to get an Aloris AXA. Albrecht drill chuck mixed in with a couple Jacobs, box of carbide indexable inserts. A couple 3 jaw chucks in the included small cabinet. 3 phase motor will get a VFD upgrade. I'm going to run it as it but clean out and install new software. It will eventually get new paint. Probably the original OD green.

Well I got this one:

lathe3.jpg

And this one:

SB 9A.jpg

Then I got a good deal on another 9C so I bought it to keep in a box for spare parts. It was dirty but basically in very good shape. Then I found a 9A cheap that wasn't in very good shape at all. So I kept that one for spares and decided to clean up the other 9C I had and sell it.

I disassembled and checked everything but the headstock, which seemed fine. Not much wear to the bed when I checked it with a machinist level and precision square. I think it cleaned up nicely:

sb9c 6s.jpg sb9c 3s.jpg

sb9c 8s.jpg

Now I wanna keep it. Oh well.

My South Bend 14 1/2...

20161121_115018.jpg 20161121_115006.jpg

As I bought it... pretty nasty...

20161111_150748.jpg

It had not been powered up in 20 something years... but it seems to be very tight and cuts well. I have not had a chance to thoroughly test it, yet.

-Bear

Has anyone ever spray welded a lathe way to build it up and than ground the lathe way straight.I have an old South Bend lathe that someone did a lot of tool post grinding on.There is wear under the chuck about twelve inches long.The rest of the way is still straight and not worn.My thought is to repair this area and build a grinder that would ride on the non-worn part of the way to grind the area to be repaired.I have seen shaft bearing surfaces spray welded and than reground to repair the shaft.Thought this might be a way to fix this problem.

Here's my 10k cl 770 rg gap bed just finished restoring.made appx 1965..put a dc motor on it.has 16 speed v belt headstock..don't have a tail stock yet..came out of a school in the mountains of eastern Tennessee.image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Back