Show us your South Bend Lathe

Here's my latest project completed and ready for market
its a 1944 SB 9" that was a model "B" and was converted to a Model "A" during the restoration.
The ways were so beautiful the Upgrade was deemed " necessary" It is light on tooling only a 5" 3 jaw self centering chuck, and a 6" independant 4 jaw chuck.... lantern tool post and Armstrong 1/4" bit holder. no rests dead center .but the condition of every part of the Lathe proper is fantastic.
All felts, gaskets and oil retainer plugs were replaced during assemply after complete paint stripping and repaint with rustoleum industrial repaint. its a " Blood Red"jewel

best actual color.JPG CIMG2863.JPG

Here's my latest project completed and ready for market
its a 1944 SB 9" that was a model "B" and was converted to a Model "A" during the restoration.
The ways were so beautiful the Upgrade was deemed " necessary" It is light on tooling only a 5" 3 jaw self centering chuck, and a 6" independant 4 jaw chuck.... lantern tool post and Armstrong 1/4" bit holder. no rests dead center .but the condition of every part of the Lathe proper is fantastic.
All felts, gaskets and oil retainer plugs were replaced during assemply after complete paint stripping and repaint with rustoleum industrial repaint. its a " Blood Red"jewel

I'd love to convert my 1938 model b to a model a with the quick change gears. Is it an easy conversion ? Where would I go about looking for the gear box?

I have a Model 34 - 0 , serial number 18943. This has an odd spindel size of 1 3/4 X 8 tpi. It also has a lead screw of 1 inch X 8 tpi and I need a gear for this application. The threading gear that I have has 24 teeth on it and wont come close to turning much less matching the acme screw thread. The bull gear has a bolt threaded into it, and I can get the apron to travel only with the half nut lever. This is going to be a project.

Martin

054 (2).JPG 053 (2).JPG 052 (2).JPG 050 (2).JPG 049 (2).JPG 045 (2).JPG 048 (2).JPG

I never posted mine here....purchased from a Tech School which was not going to teach metalworking any more. I got my lathe and a round ram '48 Bridgeport mill for $1200. I have the tailstock but it wasn't on the machine when we moved it there.

IMG_0371-M.jpg

IMG_0371-M.jpg

I never posted mine here....purchased from a Tech School which was not going to teach metalworking any more. I got my lathe and a round ram '48 Bridgeport mill for $1200. I have the tailstock but it wasn't on the machine when we moved it there.

1200 for both!!!! Do they have any more?? lol Looks good!!!

Chris

I got the last of the two mills. At first I didn't want it as I was only shopping for a lathe. He told me he'd scrap it if I didn't take it so you see what happened.

He did have a 16" left but I don't know if he still does. It's in Atlanta. My rear is still puckered up from driving from Atlanta to Birmingham with that lathe and mill on my trailer.... :nuts:

I just joined the forum and have little to offer other than some pick's of my 1921 model 34 South Bend. It was the centerpiece of a machinist's home shop who worked in the Norfolk and Western railroad shops in the hay day of steam. He made every conceivable modification and accessory including a taper and milling accessory. I bought it from his estate 15 years ago.

IMG_6714.JPG IMG_6704.JPG IMG_6710.JPG IMG_6711.JPG

Back