Show us your South Bend Lathe

Metric sb9 in norway

Here is my metric sb9.
I will try to post a picture

IMG_2336.JPG IMG_2338.JPG

Here is my 10k...........serial C11460KAR. It dates from 1966 and was first sold to the Robert Morse Company, who I think were Canadian distributors at that time.
10k one.jpg10k two.jpg
The only things that "had" to be done to it after purchase and removal of wood turning dust about 15 years ago, were replace a bull gear pin that had chipped edges and a top hat shaped washer/spacer that was under a spring in the rear hor. drive. It was painted as well, all in all, a dead easy "restoration".
Since then, I added the micrometer stop, large dials and taper attachment off Ebay. It is a joy to use!

10k two.jpg 10k one.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

This is my restored SB9
I added the lever collet closer and a taper attachment. I added a "before" picture.

The lathe was in reasonable shape when I bought it for a 62,year old machine. Still lots of work to take it apart, clean, and paint it. I'm still working on a few of the instruction plates that need restoring.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

View attachment 47074

This is my restored SB9
I added the lever collet closer and a taper attachment. I added a "before" picture.

The lathe was in reasonable shape when I bought it for a 62,year old machine. Still lots of work to take it apart, clean, and paint it. I'm still working on a few of the instruction plates that need restoring.

No machine that old should look that good! :p (At least mine never will. :biggrin:) Looks like you did a great job on the rebuild. :thumbzup:

-Ron

Here are a few pics of my 67 or 68 Heavy 10. I have the lever collet closer and collets, and a taper attachment so far. Its a nice smooth machine with no wear at all on the ways. I am looking forward to restoring it soon. - Bob

2013-02-08_18-42-08_301.jpg 2013-02-08_18-42-26_629.jpg 2013-02-08_18-42-37_592.jpg

From MONTANA BUDMAN: Got an old South Bend 1922 I think? on 12/12/2012 an eraly X-Mas present is 13"X6' 34-C serial #24894 the old man I got this from sed it came from a car shop his Dad had in Calif. to make drive shafts it has a Model (A) ford transmission conversion on it to drive head stock with V belts on 3rd step of a 4 step pully. Any comments would be of help I have a good deal of work to do to get it in to shape. going to go back to the 4 step pully flat belt drive. Need to make drive pully my self or find one to buy.Thanks all be safe Bud. .DSCF0413.JPG

DSCF0413.JPG

From MONTANA BUDMAN: Got an old South Bend 1922 I think? on 12/12/2012 an eraly X-Mas present is 13"X6' 34-C serial #24894 the old man I got this from sed it came from a car shop his Dad had in Calif. to make drive shafts it has a Model (A) ford transmission conversion on it to drive head stock with V belts on 3rd step of a 4 step pully. Any comments would be of help I have a good deal of work to do to get it in to shape. going to go back to the 4 step pully flat belt drive. Need to make drive pully my self or find one to buy.Thanks all be safe Bud. .View attachment 47635

Those old Model A trannys where bullet proof and they where used in a lot of different applications. Growing up, my dad had a plaster pump that used one of these trannys. How about some pictures?

DSCF0291.JPGDSCF0292.JPGDSCF0293.JPGDSCF0294.JPGDSCF0295.JPGmodal (A) transmission 3 speed change on 3rd step of 4 step head pully 1922 South Bend lathe. 2hp 220v 1ph motor needs a good cleaning yet doing that now.

DSCF0291.JPG DSCF0292.JPG DSCF0293.JPG DSCF0294.JPG DSCF0295.JPG

Last edited:
How well does it work? What size motor? That is a very unique South Bend.

Back