Show Us your Welders!

Somewhat related question.
Do you folks with O/A rigs have anything special about your house insurance?
(I recall someone, somewhere say that their fire insurance would be void with an O/A rig in the garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i don't have o/a at my house (it's nearby) but i don't recall any insurance co asking me that question. what kind of dog i have yes.

If lived in a place where industry was more prevalent I'm sure I could pick up a tank and do what you suggest. Unfortunately used tanks rarely, if ever come up for sale, or at least I've never seen one.

Definitely take your point on the volume of gas consumed.

I see tanks dirt cheap, basically scrap value, as none of the local suppliers will fill them, no lease - no gas, not just used tanks, but new tanks bought elsewhere. I Have leased for years, I have 12-13 tanks, in the shop. They have multiple reasons why, insurance and liability issues, stolen tanks (questionable ownership documentation) , tank testing issues and certain gases are not filled locally (acetylene), which means, the tank testing ownership and testing issues, now involves another company (and their rules and regulations).

Can't really answer on the insurance issue, you would have to check with your agent, but many homes have propane, or natural gas, which are probably more dangerous. I've had my O/A rig in my garage for almost 40 years, with no issues. Come to think of it, I did melt the clear plastic sleeves on two of my pinups when heating something in the vice with the rosebud once. Cheers, Mike

CIMG3188.JPG

Here’s my shop. I use an antique Lincoln Idealarc 250. I’ve owned it for almost half a century and it’s used a lot. I also have a small Lincoln MiG.

Attachments

• 169C4BDB-1A78-4AF2-A66B-F5D2945A2655.jpeg
    169C4BDB-1A78-4AF2-A66B-F5D2945A2655.jpeg
    905.2 KB · Views: 30
If ya'll don't mind if I bump this thread...

Here is my old dinosaur...

20200628_164528.jpg

Its an old Miller Dialarc 250HF, TIG/Stick welder... its 600 lbs of transformer powered ugly, and when I strike an arc, lights flicker three counties away, but it welds so smooth!

It was made in 1984... I bought it several years ago from the original owner, along with the torch cooler and foot pedal that he bought with it in 1984.

I also have a much newer Millermatic 211 MIG welder that is currently in the shop getting a new circuit board installed.

Due to not-so-steady hands and less than great eyesight, I use the MIG more than the TIG, but I still thoroughly enjoy firing up the tig occasionally and running a few beads with it...

-Bear

I also have a much newer Millermatic 211 MIG welder that is currently in the shop getting a new circuit board installed.

Same thing happened to me 2 years ago. I sold it and went with HTP MIGs and never looked back.

If ya'll don't mind if I bump this thread...

Here is my old dinosaur...

Its an old Miller Dialarc 250HF, TIG/Stick welder... its 600 lbs of transformer powered ugly, and when I strike an arc, lights flicker three counties away, but it welds so smooth!

I also have a Dialarc HF. It's a beast, and it keeps on working. I had a rectifier and a relay go out in it several years ago, and my local shop had me up and running again for pocket change.

Back