Show Your Home Made Shop Press

Mark in Indiana

Active User
Registered
All,
20 years ago I had some free time at work and built a bench top press for pressing out wheel bearings. Built very simply with a double frame of angle stock, a 12 ton bottle jack and several pieces of heavy rectangular tube stock to set the workpiece height. Here is a picture below.

What home made presses do you guys have?
FRAME PRESS1.jpg

pebbleworm

Active User
Registered
Here's mine. It's built from the frame of a tie-rod hydraulic cylinder and steel blanking plates with a 30 ton hydraulic jack. I made it to try to make bicycle head badges from some ca. 1910 dies I found on eBay. It actually works pretty well with 90 durometer urethane sheets as the force. It is a little small to do much else with it, but it will squeeze the heck out of anything that will fit
IMG_2203_zps1qdhyca1.jpg

IMG_2203_zps1qdhyca1.jpg

IMG_2203_zps1qdhyca1.jpg

IMG_2203_zps1qdhyca1.jpg

IMG_2203_zps1qdhyca1.jpg

IMG_2203_zps1qdhyca1.jpg

Last edited:

change gear

Registered
This press was made by my grandpa many years ago and still works great today, This is made of two pieces of I beam and a hunk of rail road rail for the top.
I was always amazed at my grandpa's ability to conjure tools out of scrap steel and car parts.

IMGP0224_zpsnlxkcmxd.jpg

IMGP0221_zpsjx6ug1ud.jpg

IMGP0224_zpsnlxkcmxd.jpg

IMGP0221_zpsjx6ug1ud.jpg

IMGP0224_zpsnlxkcmxd.jpg

IMGP0221_zpsjx6ug1ud.jpg

IMGP0224_zpsnlxkcmxd.jpg

IMGP0221_zpsjx6ug1ud.jpg

IMGP0224_zpsnlxkcmxd.jpg

IMGP0221_zpsjx6ug1ud.jpg

IMGP0224_zpsnlxkcmxd.jpg

IMGP0221_zpsjx6ug1ud.jpg

F

f350ca

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
I like that design Mike. Is the rod under the jack bushed fairly snug to keep it aligned?

Greg

Deerslayer

Registered
Those are some nice looking presses, all those adjustment holes drilled makes me cringe, I need a drill press before I'm building a shop press.

FOMOGO

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Yes, 1/2" wall bushing the full depth of the cross beam. I need to add a table winch at some point. Since I reinforced the table after finding it's limit it's a real bear to raise and lower by hand. As an ironic side note I used the press to straighten the original table that I bent after going from a 12 to a 20 ton jack before reinforcing it. :) Mike

Karl_T

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Here's my 30 ton air over hydraulic shop press. Build to fit a die cart (in background) so I can wheel it out of the corner when needed. Not shown is the wide selection of bending dies.

Its built heavy enough to go fifty ton if each attach goes to three bolts instead of two. But, the fifty ton enerpac cylinder was too buckoo

shop_press.jpg

Dave Smith

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Mark--this is an interesting thread and even though my press isn't finished I can show some pictures of it now---I have used it for easy broaching since the ram can travel over 24" with the large hand wheel and I plan to put a ratchet handle on the second shaft---I had some gears and two 30" racks so planned on making two--the second one is partway done but is in my other shop--hopefully the pictures are clear enough to see how it works-----homemade tools are always fun to see how each person uses their resources and different methods and ideas------Dave

Dave's homemade press (1).JPG Dave's homemade press (2).JPG Dave's homemade press (3).JPG Dave's homemade press (4).JPG Dave's homemade press (5).JPG Dave's homemade press (6).JPG DSCF0008.JPG

FOMOGO

Active User
That's really a nice arbor press Dave. Any idea what the hand wheel is from, old water valve maybe? Mike

F

f350ca

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Nicely done Mike.

Greg

Dave Smith

Active User
That's really a nice arbor press Dave. Any idea what the hand wheel is from, old water valve maybe? Mike
Mike--I 'm not sure what the hand wheel was used on--probably not a gate valve since the 1 3/8" hole was round and not square---it worked perfect for my project though----I just remembered that I am still going to put a support bearing and bracket under the shaft next to the hand wheel to handle the downward pressure-----Dave

Franko

Active User
This press was made by my grandpa many years ago and still works great today, This is made of two pieces of I beam and a hunk of rail road rail for the top.
I was always amazed at my grandpa's ability to conjure tools out of scrap steel and car parts.

View attachment 203842

I'm happy to see it put to use as a miscellaneous hanging rack, like mine. A great way to store clamps and chains.

Mark in Indiana

Active User
Registered
All,
There are some great presses here.
Currently, I'm restoring a large Prentiss vise. Among the challenges this restoration threw at me, the main screw was slightly bent. This is one that can't be fixed by whacking the high point of the bend or clamping one end and bending it straight with a cheater bar. The bending almost has to be surgically done.
Since I sold my hydraulic frame press (pictured in my original post), I used my arbor press and set up some oak chocks as seen in the picture below. Although the press isn't home made, the set up is.

Cheers.

PRENTISS SPINDLE REPAIR.jpg

David Morrow

Registered
I made this a couple of years ago. I don't recall where I came up with the design but I don't think the concept was completely mine. I looked at quite a number of home made presses and was a bit concerned about welded or bolted together models holding up to the stress. I thought that the solid steel plate, enclosed loop, might stand a better chance of staying in one piece. I designed this one and gave the DXF files to my brother who has a CNC plasma cutter, MIG welder, and also happens to do some pretty nice powder coating in his home shop. He cut, welded and PC'd it for me.