Show Your Home Made Shop Press

Mark in Indiana

Active User
Registered
All,
20 years ago I had some free time at work and built a bench top press for pressing out wheel bearings. Built very simply with a double frame of angle stock, a 12 ton bottle jack and several pieces of heavy rectangular tube stock to set the workpiece height. Here is a picture below.

What home made presses do you guys have?
FRAME PRESS1.jpg

Here's mine. It's built from the frame of a tie-rod hydraulic cylinder and steel blanking plates with a 30 ton hydraulic jack. I made it to try to make bicycle head badges from some ca. 1910 dies I found on eBay. It actually works pretty well with 90 durometer urethane sheets as the force. It is a little small to do much else with it, but it will squeeze the heck out of anything that will fit
IMG_2203_zps1qdhyca1.jpg

IMG_2203_zps1qdhyca1.jpg

IMG_2203_zps1qdhyca1.jpg

IMG_2203_zps1qdhyca1.jpg

IMG_2203_zps1qdhyca1.jpg

IMG_2203_zps1qdhyca1.jpg

Last edited:
This press was made by my grandpa many years ago and still works great today, This is made of two pieces of I beam and a hunk of rail road rail for the top.
I was always amazed at my grandpa's ability to conjure tools out of scrap steel and car parts.

IMGP0224_zpsnlxkcmxd.jpg

IMGP0221_zpsjx6ug1ud.jpg

IMGP0224_zpsnlxkcmxd.jpg

IMGP0221_zpsjx6ug1ud.jpg

IMGP0224_zpsnlxkcmxd.jpg

IMGP0221_zpsjx6ug1ud.jpg

IMGP0224_zpsnlxkcmxd.jpg

IMGP0221_zpsjx6ug1ud.jpg

IMGP0224_zpsnlxkcmxd.jpg

IMGP0221_zpsjx6ug1ud.jpg

IMGP0224_zpsnlxkcmxd.jpg

IMGP0221_zpsjx6ug1ud.jpg

I like that design Mike. Is the rod under the jack bushed fairly snug to keep it aligned?

Greg

Those are some nice looking presses, all those adjustment holes drilled makes me cringe, I need a drill press before I'm building a shop press.

Yes, 1/2" wall bushing the full depth of the cross beam. I need to add a table winch at some point. Since I reinforced the table after finding it's limit it's a real bear to raise and lower by hand. As an ironic side note I used the press to straighten the original table that I bent after going from a 12 to a 20 ton jack before reinforcing it. :) Mike

Back