Side Project

Not too bad, Dave. Heat treated M-2 Rolls, BeCu bushings. It's a wire stripper. The gaps are wire gage size less 20%, so the insulation is split as it is drawn through.

A friend does a little demo work, and ends up with a fair bit of wire. I built this so he wouldn't burn off the insulation. He will cut the wire into manageable lengths and feed it in. The insulation splits and virtually falls off after it passes through the rolls. It will handle #16, #14, #12, and #10.

Thanks, David. It worked out pretty good. I have a source of some junked out equipment from a local Carrier Air plant. I got the gearmotor off a conveyor they had junked. It's not strong enough to handle much bigger than 10g, but I've seen ads on those larger strippers too. There are some good videos on youtube showing them. They were part of my inspiration.

Helmkej,
I just scrounged the drops I had for materials. I had some M-2 drill rod that I knurled for the drive roll, and turned steps on for the pinch roll. The size plate is O-1. I roughly heat treated it with a torch and a bucket of oil. Not fully hard, so I didn't draw it back. I used the same O-1 annealed for the bushing blocks. Bushings are BeCu condition 25AT. The coupling was left over from something or another. :) Just on hand materials.

Will it work on stranded wire or will clearance have o be tightened?

With stranded wire, the insulation tends to get mashed into the wire if you feed it in the correct size hole. Removing the front plate, I ran some thru the next smaller roll section, and it did better, but still had a little difficulty separating the plastic. If I had to build one for stranded wire, it would have a rotary blade and a shallow vee in the mating roll to split the insulation on one side, then tear it apart by hand.

Back