SIEG-SX2LF-HiTorque-Mill-500W Mill any good?

Most of the reviews are milling Alum. can you actually mill steel successfully in a X2 machine.
I don't know. Once lockdown is over I'll goto the display show where the mills are and have a chat with them and make a decision. No huge rush.

Most of the reviews are milling Alum. can you actually mill steel successfully in a X2 machine.
From my experience, yes you can mill steel but you must take light cuts and adjust speed accordingly.
Mini mills, like mini lathes, are for light work. As long as you keep this in mind they are ok.
On the othe hand if you try to handle a big job on a mini mill its not the machine that is to blame for the failure.
For this reason it is very important to make the right choice of a tool according TO YOUR NEEDS!

How is the used tool market in your area? with that much money you probably could get a decent used mill.
It's slow, there are the older massive ones occasionally but nothing midrange, that also could be due to them being bought up in COVID. I'm thinking for the $1200AUD range I will get a 500watt Sieg. Worse case I sell it loose $600 and then upgrade.

that model sieg is very close to the LMS 3990, lacking only the gas cylinder balance unit,, about as good as a unit of this size will get,,decent low speed power, no gears to bust, non-tilting column that allows for traming. milling steel is fine within reasons.. first option would be a tach as spindle speed is important.. knob is not evenly proportional..

Back