Sieg SX2P (LMS hitorque 3900) feed screw question

Congrats on getting your 3900 mill up and going!

It does appear that your thrust bearing is not the right one. There shouldn't be anywhere near that big a gap between the dial and the mounting bracket (#'s 18 & 24 on the parts diagram). The thrust bearing should fit into pockets in the dial and bracket. That's why you don't have much for the nut to thread onto.

It looks like your mill is usable for the moment, but you may want to think about getting the right thrust bearing. As it is, it would be awfully easy for swarf to get into the bearing. Are both of the thrust bearing sets you have the same? Maybe one of them is a different (hopefully more compatible) size. If not, LMS would have the right one.

BTW when the nut is snugged up tight to remove backlash the thrust bearing is under load so you don't want to use it dry. Put some lube in there. I use lithium grease. Unfortunately, grease attracts swarf so right now you have a version of the devil's dilemma.

Just to be clear, it's a Sieg, not LMS 3900 (same kinda thing).

Yeah, it crossed my mind. Saw other kits come with a plastic shroud to prevent swarf from getting in, but they also clearly mount where I've placed them. I'll look up replacing it (LMS has some), but I mean, this was "free", so might as well use it for the time being. :)

Thanks for the pointer on grease - had wondered about that when installing. Will do.

OK, not sure why I was thinking you had a 3900. That just makes my comments more relevant :).

Free is a very good price! Have fun!

-Mark

Back