Sieg X3 Mill

G

GrahamY

Forum Guest
Register Today
Just a quick hello and an addition to my hello in the Asian Lathe catagory.

I bought a Sieg X1 a while ago and after a short while of playing (not good enough yet to say true machining :eek:) I decided that a larger mill would be much better. Therefore I now have an SX3 too.

First impressions are that it is much more capable - not surprising really given that it is 4 times the weight and 7 times the power of the X1.

However I am still definitely in the catagory of making small bits of metal out of larger bits of metal rather than "true" machining. Just need more practice before I start to try and build a stirling engine.

Graham (UK)

graham,

My mind and ambition is telling me to get the SX4 but my wallet andmy lack of experience ( not to mention my fiance' ) are all telling me to get the SX3.
As a user of the SX3 would you knoe if there is a version available with a longer table than standard ??? I believe the longer table would satisfy my need for a larger machine
thanks
joe N.E. USA

Well..... I went to grizzly in Muncy PA Tuesday "neither rain nor sleet nor snow nor Ice" could keep me from getting there in nasty, sloppy weather !
i fianlly got to see most of the mini-midi- little and big mills to help me make up my mind.

It looks like the grizzly G0619 (Seig SX3) has won my heart The SX4, when it arrives around March, Will be a monster... with an MT 4 SPINDLE TAPER :eek:??? I have no room for it
The guy on the floor was surprised also.
But the SX3 will suit my needs nicely at a size I can manage and at a $$$$$$$$ I can afford.
Of course, I have to 'splane' to my sweety" why, withe bill me later... i cannot afford to NOT buy this jewel. i want to get their 6" rotary table with tail stock # dividing plates package at $ 299.99
and a decent (spelled . ::).. not expensive) tilting vice also and a collet set... then a 2 axis DRO , an X axis power feed then I'm done for a while .
i'm guessing that the tab will be about wher the base SX4 is selling for ($ 2750. ) give or take.
Im interested in info on the trouble free DRO's that are on the market these days
Then i will be ;D happy as a pig in poop ::) ::) ::)FOREVER !!!! ::) ::)

Joe, I would recommend a Kurt style 4" or 5" vice with swivel base rather than power table feed to stay within a given budget.
After more than 30 years of observation I would have to estimate that at least 80% of ALL milling machine wrecks & injurious accidents occurred during or by the use of power feed and half of that while using rapid traverse.
Cranking with one hand is one hand that won't lose a finger or worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm picking up my SX3 Mill at Grizzly tomorrow in Muncy PA.

I had a deal cooking on a Mill stand from HF but the deal fell through.
Anybody know of a place to get a good cabinet stand for a reasonable price /
Grizz wants $ 250 +/- the HF deal was $59.95 and NO FREIGHT CHARGE ( 150 lbs) catalog wants $89.00 for freight.
HF wouldn't ship it to my local HF store.....ONLINE ONLY !

also what would be the approx. " Proper " height for a stand for the SX3
( Grizzly # 0619) any ideas for a stand strong enough to hold this
400 #+ beauty ??
Thanks
Joe

I got lucky and picked up one of the last G0619s (SX3) Grizzly had a couple of weeks ago. Successfully negotiated for last years price too! Would have liked to gotten something like a Lathemaster ZAY7045FG, but the weight was just too much for my present shop capacity. I also wasn't too keen on a fixed speed gear drive for a starter unit. I really like the variable speed AC motor, belt drive and threading function the G0619 offers. I seriously doubt I will have a job it cannot handle.

While not a complete stranger to machining, I think being an owner will be stretching my hands on skills to the limit. I'm concerned about learning how to tram out effectively and efficiently. Learning good/smart maintenance skills will also be in order. I also want to modify it to have a counterbalance system for the head, so that the Z axis won't be so difficult to crank up. I also think it will aid in stability of the z axis (reduced to zero cantilevered bending load).

I figure good quality initial tooling will run about $700-$900, but to get started I won't have to spring for it all at once (baby steps!). For what I've read about these units, good tooling is what really makes them perform well. I'll post my shopping list at a later date.

At present it's still sitting in the corner of the garage. I'm in the middle of disassembly/cleaning/reassembly of my HF lathe (new also). Can't wait to get things sorted out and operative!

rrr

Get R Done and running... ! you will love it. I'm quite green at Milling but just rough cut the crankcase for my 7 cylinder radial engine project for my 1/4 scale biplane ( display only) project ( Model of the plane in my sig pic) I used a chunk of nylon plastic I had on hand as I am new to the rotary table I bought with my SX3 .. It worked out just like it was supposed to....I love it when a plan works. will do actual project with Aluminium but the plastic is fast for practice. the diameter of the crank is 3 " when the Cylinders and rocker boxes get on the engine diameter will be 6 " pics of my first effort are attached ;D
joe

CIMG2417.JPG CIMG2418.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a question for you knudsen ..... (sen.....must be a square-head like me)

Your profile shows all the machinery you lhave 7 use ....I guess I can't buy any more machines cause My profile won't accept any more characters in the box where you list stuff you have ???? Why is that ??? you get " special priviliges ??? lol
PS drilled the bores on each flat tonight now i can start making cylinders...the real fun part, I'm thinking....of course i do have to make seven useable ones from 1 1/8" alum bar
joe

Joe, I believe Knudsen has his toys listed in his signature line where you have your quote.

Pat

Hi All,

Disassembled the G0619 this weekend.

I have to say I'm impressed by the quality of the product after going through an HF 8x12 lathe in the weeks past. I didn't start to see grinder dust until I got into the spindle box. Even then it wasn't near as bad as the lathe. They had even painted the inside of the box.

Only hang up at this point is completing the removal of the z-axis drive. The spur gear in the back on the horizontal input shaft is held on by two little set screws. You guessed it - I rounded one out. They're really difficult to access. I hope to be able to force a small flat blade screw driver in to extract.

I don't mind learning vicariously if anyone has been there, done that.

rrr

Back