Sight Glass Question...What Am I Missing?

G-ManBart

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
The type B overarm support for my K&T mill was missing a few bolts along with the sight glass parts when I got it and I'm starting to make/buy the parts to fix it, but can't figure out how the arrangement could possibly work as it sits. I bought a much nicer overarm type B support from Lost Creek Machinery and that one simply needs new glass (original was cracked) so I have something to compare to as I fix up the original.

They both have a piece of tubing that goes vertically from the oil reservoir down to the bronze bushing for the running bearing on the arbor. The thing that has me confused is that the tubes are pretty tall and line up pretty closely with the "high" mark. I can't imagine how they would supply oil if the reservoir isn't nearly full. In other words, when the oil is showing near the middle, much less at the "Low" mark, how could it supply oil?

Here's a pic of the original showing the tube and then a picture of the second support with the reference marks. I also have a type A support with the same setup, so I know they're all pretty much the same What am I missing? Is it the restriction caused by the two holes in the plate that separates the glass from the reservoir?

IMG_3168.JPGIMG_3169.JPG

I would think there was a wick in the tube that slowly provided oil to the running bushing, it should go to the bottom of the reservoir to nearly the bottom of the bearing opening, worsted wool is the best wicking.

I would think there was a wick in the tube that slowly provided oil to the running bushing, it should go to the bottom of the reservoir to nearly the bottom of the bearing opening, worsted wool is the best wicking.
I've tried looking and didn't see a wick, just a hollow tube. I can't see the back of the tube, but felt it with a dental pick and it doesn't appear to have a slit or holes that aren't visible.

Wick was probably removed by a previous idiot...

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

Even if there was a wick how would oil get to it if the oil is below the top of the tube?

I have a total of four different overarm supports, but I didn't notice a wick in any of them...I'll go back and look from the bottom with a mirror.

Wicks work by capillary action, they were used extensively in bygone days.

It's a wick. Actually 2 of them. I opened mine this afternoon.

Ah, I wasn't thinking of a wick extended around like that....now it makes sense. Okay, I guess I have to check the others to see if they have wicks and figure out how many I need!

I'm told that the saddle in these has a **** ton of wicks in them and they are a PITA to replace. I was reading a blog of a K&T owner that used pipe cleaners as wicks in his because of how much of a pain it was to fish them in the passages.

Back