Silver solder carbide to hhs

dlane

Active User
Registered
Looking for the best combination of silver solder and flux for carbide to hhs at reasonable price preferably at amazon
Thanks.

This query on practical machinist just a short while ago.

one good choice, also check out their how to videos

Here is an external RH boring bar with a carbide tip ground from a discarded TPG insert -- silver soldered to a CRS bar.

Like several others, I used Harris SAFETY-SILV 56 and STAY-SILV black high temp flux.

LH Boring Bar - 2.jpg

Carbide is best fastened to shanks by using sheet or tape silver solder, clean the shank and carbide, coat with flux, and heat from underneath the shank and on top of the carbide until the solder flows then press down on the carbide to seat it firmly on the shank until the solder solidifies. Silver/copper/silver sandwiches are made to fasten carbide to shanks, the copper is thin and provides a cushion between the carbide and the shank to lessen stress points. A lot of this was done where I used to apprentice/work, making up 1" square shank cutting tools for facing the ends of large diameter line pipe that was manufactured there.

I might add that they used plain old white (borax) flux and used a chlorinated solvent to degrease everything prior to assembly, I think that here and now, acetone or lacquer thinner would be OK, being careful with sources of ignition. Here where I live, chlorinated solvents such as trichloroethylene are banned as being cancer causing.

Back