Silver solder carbide to hhs

Looking for the best combination of silver solder and flux for carbide to hhs ...

I'd consider using other-than-HSS under the carbide; the benefit of high-speed steel is that the
edge doesn't soften at high temperature, but if the edge is carbide, the steel under it won't ever
get hot enough to matter. Cold-rolled (1018 or 8620 ?) steel should be just as stiff, and less expensive.
The stick under the carbide should be machined for good mechanical fit to its holder, but HSS
would have to be ground.

I'd consider using other-than-HSS under the carbide; the benefit of high-speed steel is that the
edge doesn't soften at high temperature, but if the edge is carbide, the steel under it won't ever
get hot enough to matter. Cold-rolled (1018 or 8620 ?) steel should be just as stiff, and less expensive.
The stick under the carbide should be machined for good mechanical fit to its holder, but HSS
would have to be ground.
Good point Whitmore I have a bunch of key stock will the safety silv 56% stick to it ? , for that matter what other metals will it stick to ?

Look for Brazing Strip not brazing rod or wire.....

We always made our own carbide tools by silver soldering the tips onto plain steel shanks never had any problems with that process. this was in the days before insert tips were available. we just got plain pieces of carbide in a couple of grades and 3 or 4 shapes and went from there, I don;t remember what the silver solder was exactly, but I think it was 2 or 3 %

That brazing strip suggestion got me looking around. here's a product just for carbide on steel for tooling

Good point Whitmore I have a bunch of key stock will the safety silv 56% stick to it ? , for that matter what other metals will it stick to ?
The boring bar picture I posted above is carbide soldered to CRS with SAFETY-SILV 56 . Works fine.

Back