Silver solder heat stop

Mike8623

Registered
Registered
Getting ready to silver solder a hss cutter to a base for rifler cutter box. I need a heat fence for the cutter area so it doesn't get hot....anyone with any ideas on a product

Attachments

• 20210416_094603.jpg
    20210416_094603.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 44
I have used this to control heat flow when soldering or welding on gun parts.

I thought the cutter was supposed to be moveable in a rifler cutter box? Or am I not understanding what you are doing?

Getting ready to silver solder a hss cutter to a base for rifler cutter box. I need a heat fence for the cutter area so it doesn't get hot....anyone with any ideas on a product
Im not sure how much success you will have trying to silver braze a hss cutter. There are heat sinks and pastes but the cutter is so small I dont think you will be able to control the heat migration effectively. Carbide and silver braze play well together but hss not so much ... at least in my limited experience. I think you might have better results trying to micro tig weld the hss cutter to the substrate. Fabricating a cutter from annealed material and heat treating is another option that you have probably already considered. I think This Old Tony did a vid on this subject some time ago if you have not seen it it may be helpful. BTW I really like the cutter box you have come up with is that your design?

Does it matter if the HSS base for the cutter is hardened?

I've never hard soldered HSS, but for difficult joints I like to pre-wet or tin the base part and float the joining part into place when the temperature is just right.

edit: Somehow I thought you were using a carbide cutter. Ignore the first comment.

The cutter has a pivot hole in the rear and pivots up and down depending on how far in the raiser is screwed in. The design comes from Charles Moore "Steel Helix Book". I've used heat fence before but cant find any of it anymore even at Brownells. I can and do tig weld, just hadn't gone down that road yet....was thinking as it was done in his book.

Heat gel or Play-doh is also used in plumbing, refrigeration, and welding. Try trades suppliers if Brownells isn't stocking it.

I hard soldered a piece of HSS to a mild steel shank for a hand scraper, had no problems with it. Used the Harris silver braze and flux.

-frank

Something else to consider. Tig weld a bead or two using high speed as a filler . I have used broken drill bits. Then grind the tool to shape leaving the high speed steel bead as the cutting edge. It works fine for short run tools and if you run out of high speed steel cutting edge just weld some more on.

Back