Silver solder suggestions

You need the flux. The flux cleans the materials being bonded so the silver will adhere. Without it, the silver will just ball up and fall off.

Ted

$50 for what? I seem to have lost track of the thread.

Silver solder is not that expensive, since a little goes a long way.

That was a reply to the wrong thread. :cower:

You need the flux. The flux cleans the materials being bonded so the silver will adhere. Without it, the silver will just ball up and fall off.

Ted
So it basically does the same as arc welding flux,am I right?

I'm not sure what you mean by arc welding flux... do you mean the coating on a stick electrode? I'm not sure it that would be a good comparison or not. Google is your friend. Just search for "why is flux needed for brazing". I did and this popped right up. There is a lot of info out there on brazing.

A fluxing agent (or a controlled atmosphere as found in furnace brazing) is required for all brazing and soldering applications. The purpose of the flux is to remove oxides from the base material and to prevent oxidation during the heating process, thus promoting the free flow of the brazing filler metal.

Ted

Try the silver bearing brazing paste you will love it. Clean the parts apply a small amount between the parts to be joined heat the joint till the brazing metal flows allow to cool. I use this stuff to attach handles to bolt bodies it is almost as simple as boiling water. If you opt for the hi temp silver solder and flux I would go with the black flux the white flux tends to scorch just a little past where the solder flows If your not careful and you burn the flux it wont join The black gives a little margin

I'm not sure what you mean by arc welding flux... do you mean the coating on a stick electrode? I'm not sure it that would be a good comparison or not. Google is your friend. Just search for "why is flux needed for brazing". I did and this popped right up. There is a lot of info out there on brazing.

A fluxing agent (or a controlled atmosphere as found in furnace brazing) is required for all brazing and soldering applications. The purpose of the flux is to remove oxides from the base material and to prevent oxidation during the heating process, thus promoting the free flow of the brazing filler metal.

Ted
That is what I meant yes. I was taught the flux on the rod is for removing impurities so thats why I asked, but no probably not the best comparison.

Yeah, for welding you have a molten puddle of both base and filler metal. With brazing you only have filler metal that is fluid. Whatever solder/braze you decided to go with, made absolutely sure that the parts to be joined are perfectly clean. No flux will clean dirty metal. Hit them with emery paper or something. Plus, roughing up the surface will give the filler some nooks and crannies to adhere to.

Ted

Yeah, for welding you have a molten puddle of both base and filler metal. With brazing you only have filler metal that is fluid. Whatever solder/braze you decided to go with, made absolutely sure that the parts to be joined are perfectly clean. No flux will clean dirty metal. Hit them with emery paper or something. Plus, roughing up the surface will give the filler some nooks and crannies to adhere to.

Ted
Thankd Ted for all your help and advise. And all the other members too,thank you.

Back