Simco 5" Tri Vise, I found one, should I buy it?

MontanaLon

Registered
Registered
I have been looking for a "new" vise. Currently I have a 3" import on my HF knee mill and I have been looking for something a little larger and more rigid. I had thought about a 4" import from Shars, I live close enough to pick it up and save the shipping. But I am always perusing the local want ads and today I came across a Simco 5" Tri Vise. It looks like this.
785821_0.jpg

There are no character marks on it but the handle it currently has is not factory. It looks like someone put a hand wheel on it. I had never heard of Simco before so when I searched here there isn't much on them. When I went to google I got a shock. I found a 4" "display" for $1900. Holy crap. The 5" I found isn't even close to that price.

I am not sure how useful the tilt on it will be, but the swivel will likely get used regularly. My concerns are mostly with the height of it. My mill doesn't have a huge height from spindle to bed. But, I have played with the idea of making a column extension at some point anyway.

So has anyone got one? If you found one for $300 would you pass it up?

AT $300 I"d pass. That's me, not necessarily you. My vice (4") came with a swivel base, The base immediately came off and went under the work bench for indefinite storage.
1) the number of surfaces between the work and the table all contribute to loss of security.
2) my vice is keyed to the tee slots, maintaining squareness with the table.
3) the ability to change the angle, while of some value, is another potential error.
4) the screw position is not good for solid clamping, may cause the work to lift as it is tightened.

If you need to pivot and tilt your work, that vice is good, but if you don't want it swiveling and tilting, you don't want that vice.

I am not sure how useful the tilt on it will be, but the swivel will likely get used regularly. My concerns are mostly with the height of it. My mill doesn't have a huge height from spindle to bed. But, I have played with the idea of making a column extension at some point anyway.

So has anyone got one? If you found one for $300 would you pass it up?

I use my swivel attachment frequently. I use it for woodworking. It is heavy enough to weigh down panels being glued together. Also a good doorstop on windy days. On the mill, don't recall ever having used it.

For half of that price you can get a pretty decent import "Kurt" style angle lock vise.

Simco was purchased by Harig in 2006.

The press release at that time said they would be "reintroducing the most popular Simco tools under the Harig name". Unfortunately none of the vises (including the tri-vise) are in todays tool lineup. Although I've never used one, Simco vises have always had a good reputation for being rigid and accurate, and relatively expensive. Keep in mind any Simco vise is now at least 13 years old. Most likely the one you're looking at is far older since a 13 year old vise would still be in service unless the company that bought it was no longer in business.

If at all possible I would inspect it for wear and damage. If it's in good shape $300.00 isn't out of the realm of reality. The only downside is that if sometime in the future you might need parts, you'll either have to make them, or find them used some place. The "Tri-Vise" is essentially a version of a compound sine vise. They are more commonly used on a surface grinder than a milling machine.

As previously mentioned since the vise is adjustable in 3 axis it will be more difficult to ensure it is true to the table. In all probability it will need to be indicated each time it is used to be sure it remains tight and square. While the price may be in the reasonable range should you need all 3 axis, there are far less expensive options that will be more than adequate for the milling machine.

Discount Machine (online version of Shars is offering a 4 1/8" vise without the swivel base for $69.45

They also have a 4" vise in their "V" series for $250.00

You can buy the swivel base for an additional $69.50

Since you're close enough to pick them up from their St. Charles location I would think these would be better buys.

As an FYI I have a Bridgeport 6" vise on the swivel base, and a Palmgren 8" vise without the base. I find I use the 8" palmgren far more than the Bridgeport, mostly because I don't often need the swivel feature, and it's much easier to indicate in. In 35+ years of doing machine work I can't ever remember needing the 3rd axis on a milling machine vise the Simco Tri-vise offers.

Back